Foriegn brand tractors

/ Foriegn brand tractors #41  
I have seen many plastic hoods faded by wind slap during shipment at the JD dealer I work for. Also if you go to your local Deere dealer and look at the hoods of new lawn tractors like the LX280 and the new Gators if they have been climed on or have had the hood touched ever so slightly they will become all marked up. I have a plastic hood on my Deere GT 242 and 1975 214 and they are a lot better quality than the new plastic coming out from Deere. The X series has a nice plastic to it same with my brother's 1994 JD 320. I hope the new JD compacts come with the same plastic hoods as the 5000 series as they are better built than the current 4000 series.

/ Foriegn brand tractors #42  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Larger CDI, has nothing to to with desile compression, all of them diesel engines need 22:1 compression to get the fuel compressed to it's ignition point )</font>

Unless I'm mistaken.. 19:1 will do it fairly easy..

Soundguy

/ Foriegn brand tractors #43  
soundguy;

yes all depending on the cetain/octain rating of the fuel in particular, as the imports are often fed stuff that more resembles the stuff drained out of the engine after 100K on you're car than the nice crystal clear stuff we get (or red for farm use). the stuff that was in the tank when I got mine form china was more akin to something that looked to have been dredged from the bottom of the septic tank! that is no joke wither it was running on this @ factory as it came with carbon in the exaust! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I drained about 1/2 gallon maybe 3/4 that when held up to the light in a glass masons jar could not be seen through :eek: /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif though they did run on it...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Foriegn brand tractors #44  
Is there a difference?

Yes there is a difference in quality.

Does it matter? Depends on the user. If you don't mind the difference between a economy car and one that is well made, or you can't tell the difference then an economy tractor might be just fine. I saw atraveling tool sale with a China tractor for $4000. Good luck getting a radiator for it six years from now.

The old saying still applies, you get what you pay for.

Look at Mahindra. I think they guarantee parts availability.

/ Foriegn brand tractors #45  
SPIKER i love reading yer posts. I AM amazed at using that hood for a scaffold, I wouldn't be that brave... Glad to hear it is up to the job!

Your stinky fuel story reminded me of something.

Years ago, my FIL had a tractor dealership, and they tried their hand at some Russian tractors. Had to be the first lot over here, no one had ever seen them.

Anyway, the first one sold, the customer calls back: "hey, I went to change the oil and there's SAND in it!"

So, they go on out in the lot, and the first one they come to, drain it and sure enough, it has sand. One by one they look, Yup! all have sand in the oil.

A quick call to the importer, and there sure is some scurry to figure this out.

The Russians get called, and they can't figure out what all the fuss is about.

See, you really don't have to machine things all that closely, after all...

Just mix sand in your break in oil...

WOW!

/ Foriegn brand tractors #46  
Rockyridge:

sounds like the way they used (used car dealers) to put saw dust into noisy rear ends to quite them and such... Never heard of the sand in the oil, but hey that is why they have TOLERANCES right! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

lol

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Foriegn brand tractors #47  
Some castings are done with sand being used for the mould. Lack of quality control could put those castings into use without proper cleaning and result in the mess you described!!

/ Foriegn brand tractors
This was taken out of context. If you read the rest of the post it makes sense.

/ Foriegn brand tractors
This was all a lot of help. After reading all of the posts I've decided to go with my first instincts. I expect my tractor to last 30 years, and I want there to be factory support. I don't know that will be there with a chinese tractor. That is more important to us than first cost.
Contrary to some of the flames posted here I never bad mouthed any of the tractors/ nationalities/ brands, only voiced uncertainty. I just explained my impressions , and asked for some advice.