Remote control electrical outlet recommendation?

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
For the past few years, I've been using a "dongle" that I plug into an outlet in my garage and is controlled by a remote control (similar to a garage door opener remote). In the winter, the preheater for my tractor gets plugged into it, so I can start it preheating without going out to the tractor. In the summer, it controls the sump pump that feeds the home-made water slide that goes into our pond.

I have yet to find one of these that works reliably. The first one I tried worked in the summer, but not in the winter, when the temperatures really dropped (obviously not what you want for a preheater outlet). The next two I tried each only lasted about 6 months, then the remote stopped working. A new battery did not help. I suspect the cheap things they use for switches in the remote just crapped out.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a remote controlled outlet that works reliably and in colder temperatures?

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #2  
How many watts does your block heater draw? I assume that your sump pump doesn't draw much current.

Aaron Z

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #3  
John I use a timer for my diesel pickup, now it's not remote controlled and will do the same "thing" every 24 hrs., but with just a little planning the evening before……..

Iirc both Lowes & HD have one that's good up to about 2000 watts for well under $40, but still looks like a lamp timer so read the package first.

Then Lutron has a line called "Casetta" (not sure on the spelling) that will control an outlet remotely but I've only used it for lighting and I don't know it's wattage rating, also at Lowes.

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #4  
after searching the word "dongle" I am still not sure what one is and if it is treatable

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #5  
The big two systems are Zigbee and Z-Wave. Both WIFI type systems but interesting because each device acts as a repeater. Everything is available for these systems, doorlocks, stats, alarm stuff and all manner of electrical stuff, Of course, all able to be run from your smart phone.

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #6  
   / Remote control electrical outlet recommendation?
after searching the word "dongle" I am still not sure what one is and if it is treatable

It's a computer term. Probably a misuse of the term. On a computer it's just a little gizmo that you plug into a computers USB port (or other port). A "WiFi Dongle" plugs in and gives you WiFi capability. Some use it to refer generally to an adapter: a dongle to adapt my 240V outlet to the plug on the end of my welder.

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation?
Can't use a WiFi based system in my application. My signal does not reach, and I'm not really interested in extending it.

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #9  
It would work if you had other devices in between acting as a repeater. It does not run on your wifi, but is it's own wifi.

/ Remote control electrical outlet recommendation? #10  
Years ago I used a remote switch made by Heath Company. Had a range of 50 or so feet, can稚 remember how much wattage it could handle. Remote looked like a wall switch and used a 9 volt battery for power.