Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt?

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt? #1  

NonTypicalCPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
The neighbors and I have decided to pave our 1/2 mile private drive. I'm looking for any tips on spreading gravel along the exposed edge of the asphalt (total of 1 mile!). I've got a Kubota with fel and various attachments. I've seen the county road crews drop gravel out of their trucks in a nice 12" wide row along the edge, then scrape it into place. My gravel guy says he doesn't have a way to narrow down the width of his dump truck, so he could dump it on the drive, but it would be a 7 or 8 foot wide path of gravel that I'd have to scrape off. Short of placing the gravel with my fel are there any tips to make this job go faster?

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt? #3  
Rent a dump trailer and build a wood gate to do it like the road crews . If you could find a really heavy duty super sack the spout on the bottom would be perfect but your limited in capacity

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt? #4  
Your gravel guy can add a 6x6 or 8x8 post in the back of his truck against the tailgate before filling. Either leave it all to one side, with a 1 or 2' gap on the other side, or center it with gaps on both sides. When he dumps it will only come out those gaps creating a single or double line. That's how some dumps do it here on the '2 track' gravel drives.

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt? #5  
Your gravel guy can add a 6x6 or 8x8 post in the back of his truck against the tailgate before filling. Either leave it all to one side, with a 1 or 2' gap on the other side, or center it with gaps on both sides. When he dumps it will only come out those gaps creating a single or double line. That's how some dumps do it here on the '2 track' gravel drives.

That is an excellent idea!
Wish I had known that when I needed it.
Actually...I might still need it.
Thanks!

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt? #6  
I usually spread the gravel in the center of my driveway. Then every Winter when I plow snow the gravel ends up on both sides of the drive. :D

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt? #7  

A few concrete blocks also work. Any gravel guy should know this I would think.

gg

/ Any tips for spreading gravel along the edge of new driveway asphalt?
Great ideas on the boards or cinder blocks in the back. I'll talk with my guy. The drive with be laid in two 1.5" lifts, so 3" total. Any harm done to it by a 10 yard dump truck?