Water in tank?

/ Water in tank? #1  

RandyB3

Tractor
Kubota BX23s
On my new BX23 today I was having an issue where when I was backing up a hill I'd get a bit of sputtering or cutting out of the engine. Would not do it going forward up the same hill or flat. I'm assuming I have a bit a water in the tank and was sucking it up at that incline. Anyone else had this happen, and does my thinking make sense that it's likely this simple? I'm thinking when I get this tank close to empty to pull a line to drain completely.

/ Water in tank? #2  
Randy, it could be water in the tank, or it might be that the fuel uncovered the fuel outlet due to the incline you were backing up. I did that once in a skid loader while working on the backside of a pond dam.

/ Water in tank? #3  
It could also be a failed electric lift pump, or clogging filters.

/ Water in tank? #4  
How full was your tank, and how steep was the incline?

I believe the most likely culprit is your fuel pickup tube was sucking air into the fuel inlet due to the angle of the hill.

/ Water in tank?
The tractor only has 20 hours on it so I'm guessing the pump is good. Also, had a full tank when this happened. Did a bit of reading and learned about the "Mr. Funnel" that'll filter water out. Going to pull all the fuel, drain remaining, change filters and run the fuel back through Mr Funnel. That should get it out.

No telling how long these sit at the dealer with just a little fuel in them. Could have just been condensation in the tank.

BTW, I love what I can get done with a box blade! The hill I was going up is in the background.
boxblade.jpg

/ Water in tank?
How full was your tank, and how steep was the incline?

I believe the most likely culprit is your fuel pickup tube was sucking air into the fuel inlet due to the angle of the hill.

Tank was full and it wasn't super steep. Hard to estimate but 5 or so degrees maybe.

/ Water in tank? #7  
Check your filters for water and drain/filter if needed/
Question: Why the heck do they make the ROPS so darned high on that little tractor. It looks like it is several feet higher than a seated operator which makes no sense at all.

/ Water in tank?
Question: Why the heck do they make the ROPS so darned high on that little tractor. It looks like it is several feet higher than a seated operator which makes no sense at all.

Thanks, will check the filters first. Don't know on the ROPS but I'm sure never going to hit my head on it using the backhoe!

/ Water in tank? #9  
Because some operators are taller than others. And generally the ROPS is behind the operator. So the operator needs to below an invisible line that runs from the ROPS to the hood (or engine, or whatever the stable structure is up front). Otherwise if they aren't under that line they are likely to be squished.

Ya, check your filters first. That will be a lot easier than draining the tank. Might not be a more likely fix, but easy enough to make sure its step 1.

Mr. Filter is a good preventive solution in the future, or for a refill. I have one but dont use it (I have a filter & water waterblock filter on my 300 gal0on tank on a stand).

/ Water in tank? #10  
Does your tractor have a fuel/water separator on it? Or is it just the filter? In my case, I can look through the side glass on my fuel/water separator and visually see if there's any water in it.