The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #1  

To20Chris

Platinum Member
Tractor
LK3054
Who needs 8 speeds in reverse? ME! Ok, I don't even think I've been in top gear reverse, but those low range gears in reverse are awsome for puting on implements, especially the BH. Makes me realize just how darn fast reverse is on my TO20!

As far as the back and forth thing with the loader, that's great most of the time. The rest of the time I want to change speeds too, which means two levers (yes, HST would be great there, but I don't like it for other reasons). And sometimes I even want to change ranges, which is three levers! If I have a pile of stuff to move that is located some distance away, I'll go into the pile very slow, cause I'm not that good, and then I want to speed up to move to wherever I'm going.

Overall, I still think shuttle shift is great, and I didn't realize how helpful those slow reverse gears would be.

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #2  
Chris,

I agree with you 100%. I've only had my TN65 for a couple of weeks, but I love the shuttle shift. It was even very handy while brush hogging in tight spots. Do I need 8 speeds in reverse? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif No /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif... well not yet anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

And as for high speed reverse on older tractors, I imagine your To20 is very similar to my father-in-law's 8N. That thing is scary sometimes like when trying to back it on to a trailer and having to keep the engine RPMs up so it doesn't stall.

Keith

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #3  
Chris I happen to be a firm believer of the HST but thats just my personal opinion and I respect your choice for the Shuttle Shift. A gradual consensus seems to have evolved at the TBN site leading to an understanding that it is the owner, rather than the tractor type, that determines what is best for each particular person.

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #4  
I have only used Hst on lawn mowers and it works great there have yet to use it on a tractor. I do know that my brothers 5410 JD with shuttle and power reverser will flat move putting shavings back in my chicken house. It will go faster backwards than it will foward. With a 96" bucket thats alot of shavings. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift
Yup - I wasn't trashing HST at all, just bringing up something about the shuttle shift that I hadn't seen discussed. By advantage I meant over standard gear, not over HST, which I didn't realize until now that people might interpret my title to mean. The last thing I want to do is start the HST war up again! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So to anyone who's about to fire one off to defend the honor of HST, just forget it!

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #6  
How does shuttle shift work? it means you can change gears when moving?

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How does shuttle shift work? it means you can change gears when moving? )</font>

On my NH TN75D with electro hydraulic power shuttle (16F, 16R) you have a normal clutch and you also have a forward, neutral, reverse lever on the steering column like a turn signal lever. You can flip it from forward to reverse at any speed and the tractor smoothly slows down, stops and then smoothly accelerates in the other direction. Great for loader work. You can also use the clutch. You need the clutch to shift 1,2,3,4 (syncro) and you need to stop to change ranges A,BL,BH,C. Some shuttles aren't quite as automatic. The shuttle on my Ford 2120, will snap your neck it you don't let off on the throttle.

Andy

On mine the shuttle is not synchronized (mechanical shuttle), so I must stop before shifting from forward to reverse. I would prefer a shyncro shuttle. Basically, I have a synchronized 4-speed gear box. A separate lever up by the seat changes from forward to neutral to reverse. A third lever controls the 2 ranges. This gives 8 speeds forward, 8 reverse. On mine, only the main gearbox is synchronized, the shuttle is not. Some have more speeds, but the neat part is that you can control all the functions separately.

/ The biggest advantage of Shuttle Shift #9  
Its interesting the manufacturers types of shuttles, Kubota glide models lets you flop directions and gears without clutching but you have to slow down to change direction as you say.

Don't feel bad for slowing down in piles, people tend to break stuff by slamming into piles in high gear just to avoid stalling.

Actually, I go pretty slow on tractors most all the time anyway. Things usually come out better, and I don't break stuff. Maybe it's a lot of years running a brush hog on a old tractor with a steel seat - you run it in 3rd, you find out pretty quick that field isn't as smooth as it looked! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif