Top and Tilt Regrets?

/ Top and Tilt Regrets?
<font color="blue"> It's now 2 Mad's against 1 Henro. Ready to submit? </font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going..."

Then I wondered where they go...probably where life is easier...so you never know... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #42  
Henro . . . LAGeorge, who I don't see posting lately, made his own TnT on a NHTC24. He used 3 cylinders for his TnT and there were some pictures of his set up in a thread regarding a spray rig. He built his own sprayer for his orange orchard and his pictures showed some pretty good shots of his TnT. I didn't search for the thread, but you may want to look, I believe it would have been from last summer or fall. There were a few comments on his set up in the thread.

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #44  
"Pilot operated check valve"

What's that?

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #45  
Henro,

Sometime a long time back I did a post of the details of building a T&T for my 2910. I'm pretty sure I included the cylinder lengths to address this exact issue. I think the thread was called something like "Going down the TnT path".

As you note, the tradeoff between overall cylinder length and the cylinder throw doesn't leave much room for error. If I recall, I think I ended upcutting the cylinder rod to make everything fit.

Good luck, It was fun building and even more fun using it afterwards.

Peter

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #46  
Hi all, I've been following the various discussions on TnT and have come to the conclusion that this is definitly the way to go. However, I only really need/want at the moment a hydraulic top link to make life easier. I've read some of the prices that were quoted in the various threads and am confused. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I've priced out a cylinder (either supply center or Chief) and the cylinder cost less than $200. A single spool valve (Prince), costs about $110. So, where is the $900-1250 price range coming from? What key/expensive parts am I missing, hoses can't cost that much, can they????

Related to this, does "power beyond" mean potentially running two hydraulic implements simultaneously? My backhoe is fed through my FEL control, is this considered "power beyond"?

BTW, also got a WR Long toothbar for my bucket, boy howdy can that sucker dig...

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #47  
The $900-1250 range may also include cylinders with check valves, remotes, joystick control........etc. Does the cylinder come with the corrct ends on it? If you priced a cylinder at $200, see Mark Carter, his is $170 (or was) for cylinder w/check valves. $1250 is for both cylinders, joystick control, mounts, hoses........ready for you to plug into your supplied remotes.

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #48  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( where is the $900-1250 price range coming from? )</font>

You're generally looking at two cylinders rather than one (top and tilt), a two spool valve instead of one, in some cases a different hydraulic outlet block instead of power beyond from the FEL valve, hoses (and you're right; they're relatively inexpensive), and some fittings, perhaps including quick couplers for rear remoted instead of direct plumbing from the valve to the cylinders.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( does "power beyond" mean potentially running two hydraulic implements simultaneously? )</font>

No exactly. It means power to a valve, then power beyond that valve to the next valve. Example: if you use the "power beyond" port on your FEL valve to continue on to the valve for your hydraulic top link, that hydraulic top link cannot be operated simultaneously with the FEL because the FEL valve will be using the hydraulic pressure. When the FEL valve is centered; i.e., not in use, then the hydraulic flow goes on to the other valve before returning to the sump.

/ Top and Tilt Regrets? #49  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Related to this, does "power beyond" mean potentially running two hydraulic implements simultaneously? My backhoe is fed through my FEL control, is this considered "power beyond"?)</font>

1. yes
2. probably yes, the FEL's PB is connected to the backhoe.

Power Beyond extends the high pressure hydraulic circuit to the next valve.

If there is more than one valve in the circuit, all valves except for the last one (which is typically the 3-point hitch), should have what is called Power Beyond or PB. This ensures that the high pressure hydraulic circuit will not be interrupted when a valve’s spool is activated. Depending on the valve and the work port load, full hydraulic pressure may or may not be passed on when a valve is activated.

A valve with power beyond will have 2 outputs, one for high pressure fluid to continue the circuit (the PB) and another for exhausted low pressure fluid to return to the reservoir (the tank). The PB feature is frequently added to a valve using a sleeve adapter. Most loader valves and rear remote valves are configured with Power Beyond.

When a PB valve’s spool is activated, the fluid returning from the cylinder which is low pressure, is routed to the reservoir output. This insures that other valves further on in the hydraulic circuit will continue to receive high pressure fluid from the PB output.

There are a number of hydraulic tutorials on the net that you might want to look at. Try here . There are probably others too. Do a search here on TBN and the web for "Power Beyond".

/ Top and Tilt Regrets?
Hayden,

Yes, that thread is one of many that I have read and reread...here is the link for others who may be interested:

Going down the Top N Tilt path

I wish there were more hours in the day...so I could get the T&T back on the front burner... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="blue"> "Pilot operated check valve"

What's that?
</font>

Forgot to add, the pilot operated check valve is a double checkvalve, ie, one check valve on each line going to the cylinder. It can be located at the cylinder itself, or in the control valve, or somewhere in between. Of course, a check valve in each line would prevent the cylinder from moving, since the check valve passes fluid in only one direction. With two checkvalves installed, when one side of the cylinder was pressurized, the check valve on other side would not let fluid leave. The double pilot-operated check valve is used to prevent cylinder drift due to leakage in the control valve.

So with a pilot operated check valve, the hydraulic pressure that is applied to the one side of the cylinder is also used to push open the check valve in the line to the other side of the cylinder, and the cylinder can move. But when the control valve is closed, the check valve on both sides seat, and the cylinder locks in position.