Mowing Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK?

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #1  

RaydaKub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Found a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK mower on CL. Only a single picture of it. Described as being in good condition.
New, these units are listed for $999 locally up to $1200. Advertised at $650, about 50 miles away.
Opinions on this? My needs are pretty low end, just weed and grass control on about 2 acres.

https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_hKKH1eTEmbE_1200x900.jpg

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #2  
Wish I had the XB version but have a regular King Kutter 48 with a single tail wheel for the BX2230 and had to put a second set of lift pins on to make it work. Got it on clearance and was less then $500 at the time.

The BX is not going to break anything on the cutter, just make sure the drive shaft is cut to the right length

David

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #3  
I cut 8' tall hazlenut brush with my King Kutter rotary cutter and a 15hp Shibaura. Never had a single problem.

shibaura barn3.jpg

DSCN0802.jpg

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK?
Well, for good or bad, it's gonna be mine. I drove down to see it yesterday and settled on $600. He's been running it off a 39hp Massey. There's some rust and a few dings, but the gearbox looks good and blades are not beat up. Should run nicer behind my BX. Thanks for the advice, fellas!

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #5  
I had a 5 foot King Kutter. Good for lighter duty, I overused mine on brush, saplings and hidden rocks. Not designed for that.

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #6  
Check out my pic above. I would cut off stems that were > 1 1/2", but I drove right through that stuff to build my trails. It made a racket, but no damage to my mower.

Got it home tonight. PTO is too long. I'm a full 3/4" from even hooking up the 3pt and the shaft is as short as it gets. Need to find one of those videos on how to measure and cut it. Excited to try it out, but first things first.

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #8  
Got it home tonight. PTO is too long. I'm a full 3/4" from even hooking up the 3pt and the shaft is as short as it gets. Need to find one of those videos on how to measure and cut it. Excited to try it out, but first things first.
Before youtry and cut it, get a hold of say tractor supply or king kutter and tell them the situation. They will fix you up with a pto shaft that will work. I got my self in this situation. It is alot easier to change the pto shaft out to one that fits than to try and cut it off.

/ Opinions on a King Kutter L-48-40-XB-OK? #9  
Ps. I got a 5 foot king kutter and it has done me an excellent job. My little mf tractor cant handle it in heavy tall material. I put it behind my allis 185. That is over kill, but i can cut the devil out of what ever i want, no power issues, dont burn any more fuel, and the king kutter holds up well. Like i say its overkill, should have bought a 7 ft, but didnt realize all the trouble i'd have with the mf.

Too late Phillip. :)
No worries though. Took me a couple evenings of pounding on the shaft to get it off; there was some mushrooming of the sheer pin. Finally got it and my neighbor was an ag engineer who also owned a dealership for 30 years. He ran it through his chop saw and took off about 5 inches, we polished it on the grinder, and assembled the whole thing again. Quite a clever design on the shields, really. I mowed a couple strips Saturday evening with it just to try it out. I'm gonna like this thing. :thumbsup: :D