Compact tractor suggestions?

/ Compact tractor suggestions?
Once tractors go over 3,000 pound bare tractor weight, the FOLDED ROPS is usually taller than 84".

The optimal way to shop for tractors is to list your tasks first, then determine bare tractor weight you need to SAFELY accomplish your tasks. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential applications on one to five fairly flat acres. These "residential tractors" fit in a typical garage.

Good point.

Probably 80" is about the max it could be. If a regular sized skidsteer won't fit, then it doesn't really matter if a tractor can since it will be a job for a walk behind skid.

/ Compact tractor suggestions? #12  
I have no Skid Steer experience but my impression from observation is tractor FOLDED ROPS heights are generally taller than equivalent weight Skid Steer entry heights.

Two reasons: 1) Large rear wheels on tractors 2) Tractor ROPS has to protect potential Backhoe height, even if Backhoe is not installed on tractor.

I stopped today and checked out a Massey 1726e. The 1734e looks just a bit too large.

It seems comparable in size to the Mahindra 1526, but listed operating capacities front and rear are much lower. MSRP is lower as well.

Anyone have any experience with these machines? The dealer is pretty much local (with a good reputation) so it would be nice to have them so close, but if it can't move around 1000 lbs when I need it to then it wouldn't be of much use.

They were closed this morning, so no luck getting to test it out.

/ Compact tractor suggestions? #14  
if it can't move around 1000 lbs when I need it to then it wouldn't be of much use.

If you did not collect a Model 1726e brochure at the dealer's, I suggest visiting the Massey-Ferguson web site.

B7100 bare tractor weight = 1,080 pounds

MF1726e bare tractor weight = 2,650 pounds

Last edited:
Comparing it to my B7100 seems a little silly. I know that one won't move 1000 lbs around, put that much on the boom pole and I would be doing a wheelie.

Here's what I can find.

1526 - 1560 lbs to 84"
1726e -1210 lbs to 95.7"

Which really isn't bad, for some reason I thought I read 800 lbs on a review. I would guess near the ground they have similar performance.

I'll have to stop in this week and check it out.

/ Compact tractor suggestions? #16  
Branson 2400H?

FWIW, my 4520r fits in my garage with the ROPS folded...

/ Compact tractor suggestions? #18  
Seems like a skid steer, or ctl would be a better option than a tractor for the intended use.

/ Compact tractor suggestions? #19  
Do you need to tow this equipment? If so, do you have a truck and trailer suitable for doing so?

Seems like a skid steer, or ctl would be a better option than a tractor for the intended use.

It really probably is. I might have to meet in the middle and get a decent wheeled skid to use, even though I'm not a huge fan of them for anything other then asphalt and concrete, they are too easy to get stuck in the slop. Over tire tracks are always an option I guess.