Grading Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D?

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #1  

diazespam

Tractor
Husqvarna TS348D
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and just purchased a Husqvarna TS348D garden tractor after running my old 15hp Craftsman mower into the ground. I'll primarily use this tractor to mow and haul garden/yard waste material and maybe wood. I was wondering how risky/advisable it would be to try grading my driveway with this tractor with either a box grader or rear blade. This tractor does have the K66 trans-axle with locking rear differential. Any advice before I mistakenly smoke my transmission? Thanks in advance.

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #2  
I have last years version, and it is an outstanding heavy-duty riding mower, should last me a long time even mowing brush on very steep slopes. I have also used it effectively to pull a harrow on a half-acre back yard. That said, I would not consider it for grading with a blade of any sort.

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D?
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about harrow plowing with it too. Glad to know it's doable. I figured grading was probably a stretch with an entry-level garden tractor like this, but thought I'd ask. As I say, I'm mostly looking to mow and haul with it. Can't wait for mine to get delivered in a week or so!

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #4  
:welcome:
To TBN. We are glad that you joined.

I am with Teachu and I would think that you might get away with it a couple of times, but would you want to take the chance of shortening the life of your transmission.

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #5  
Husqvarna sells a sleeve hitch and a box blade for that very tractor. According to the description, it uses a hydrostatic trans, just like most CUT's these days... I would not think you would damage the tractor using equipment that Husqvarna sells for it...

I say go for it. If you are really worried about "damage", just keep an eye on the oil temp in the hydrostat. (A trans temp gauge would be a sweet addition!!)

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #6  
By harrow, I'm talking about a drag harrow. ATV 4 ft. x 4 ft. Chain Harrow with 4 ft. Drawbar at Tractor Supply Co.

While it uses a "hydrostatic transmission", it's not "just like most CUT'S these days". Get the right tool for the job. This isn't it: Multiple Husqvarna Division Attachment - Rear-mounted Grader/Box Scraper , unless your driveway is sand. You'll also need Shop Husqvarna Sleeve Hitch at Lowes.com to attach it.

When it comes to grading, weight is your friend. The light stuff, literally, doesn't cut it.

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #7  
See my avatar for a pic of that exact kind of setup, except its a Husqv GT48XLSi with an Electric Sleeve Hitch from Johnny Products plus a Brinly box blade. I completely re-graded my hard-packed rutted long gravel drive on a hill with no problem, though it took a long time due to the small size of the tractor/blade. Was able to pull a box-blade full of gravel uphill while spreading. Also grading a new clay road that was quite steep. And with the Brinly angled, some side-ditch work too.

However this rig isn't much use in the soft dirt of a garden, I think because of lack of weight/traction, like Teachu2 says above, even with the diff lock engaged. Tire chains might help. Also too easy to get the MMM bogged down in soft dirt.

If you get the Husqv with the stronger frame (they make them on two kinds of frames) you can also run a Johnny Products front-end bucket.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a real tractor in the first place. Shopping for one now.

YMMV

Husq.JPG

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #8  
Just like GWWT, I tried using my 24 HP Pro Yard Tractor with other attachments and just about ruined it. I did have to put a new hydrostatic transmission on it and had to get a 'REAL' tractor anyway.

I tried to go cheaper and it cost me even more.

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #9  
Just like GWWT, I tried using my 24 HP Pro Yard Tractor with other attachments and just about ruined it. I did have to put a new hydrostatic transmission on it and had to get a 'REAL' tractor anyway.

To be clear, I didn't ruin the tractor....still running. Never saw any signs of overheating or other strain. It kind of either pulled the load fine, or if it was too much and it wouldn't go, I'd just lift the blade an inch or two and proceed. The tranny in these tractors (K66) is very strong.

Still, I am not a fan of this unit and will likely be getting rid of it soon. My only point in posting was to share my experience doing grading work with this type of rig.

I tried to go cheaper and it cost me even more.

Yep. (And you guys TRIED to tell me....)
:)

/ Grading with a Husqvarna TS348D? #10  
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about harrow plowing with it too. Glad to know it's doable. I figured grading was probably a stretch with an entry-level garden tractor like this, but thought I'd ask. As I say, I'm mostly looking to mow and haul with it. Can't wait for mine to get delivered in a week or so!

It excels at mowing up and down steep hills, very stable, and in not getting stuck while doing so. Also great at pulling loads. Pulls a tow-behind DR Leaf Vacuum (the Premier) w/ no problem and that thing is heavy when full of grass clippings. But like I said, it was useless in the soft dirt of my garden. It's fairly heavy for its size and would sink into soft dirt, and once the MMM touches dirt you're not going anywhere.