Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK25HST

Default What would you charge....?

The county I live in has a communication tower located next to my property. They put out a bid for mowing the site which is 15 acreas. The only thing out there is the tower which is fenced in and the guy wires also fenced in. Bush hogging is ok, and the fenced areas can be mowed or sprayed with roundup. They want it mowed four times , once each for June, July, August and Sept. I put in a bid for $1600. My thinking is that I would be getting a few tractor payments for my new Kioti 25 that I had just ordered with a 5 foot bush hog. I didn't get the bid and haven't found out yet what they are paying the guy won won the bid.Not figuring any transportation cost, what would you bid?

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810HST

Default Re: What would you charge....?

If that's $1600 for the season, I wouldn't do it for that even.
    $400 to mow 15 acres with your equipment, your fuel, your supplies (RoundUp), no way. Think how many hours you would have into it each time, divide the $400 by that & I think it's a little low for a person & equipment & supplies.

Tractor
    B-2910 delivered 8/23/01

If it was next door to me I probably would have ask permission to cut some or all of it to get an idea of time involved.

Then with my b-2910 & 5 ft cutter.... bid around $25.00 per hour.

In our area, if it was an advertized bid the winning bid should be published in the local paper or you should be given that info. Unless someone has a cousin or uncle involved in the politics of the county. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
    That does happen, sorry to say.

If the job is not done on schedule then I'd got to my county commission meeting and make sure the local news media was there and present my "case" with pictures.

If you can't tell I really don't have a lot of confidience in ALL elected or appointed "officials". Tried to be a good citizen several years ago and GAVE the city a right-of-way across my land with a verbal agreement as to how it would be maintained etc. They got the elevator and I got the shaft.

I'm sure prices vary considerably in different parts of the country, but in my area, I'd almost bet that someone bid no more than $1,000. But as has already been said, the bids should be public record that anyone could ask for and see.

Tractor
    JD 4610 ehydro MFWD

If it's easy mowing/hogging, I'd say $1,200 a year (or less). You should be able to do the 15 acres in 8 hours. That would translate to $37.50 an hour. $17.50 per hour for you and $20 an hour for the tractor and cutter.

Even $1,200 sounds a little steep, for my area anyway.

Tractor
    Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331

I suspect the winner got it for about $750.

MAX 2.5 hours with a 15' flexwing mower at $75/hour = $187.50 times 4 cuts = $750

Let us know what the winning bid was.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Ford 2120 , New Holland TN75D, Hitachi UH083LC Excavator

The lowest I'll go with my Ford 2120 and any attachment is $50/hour. I usually try for $65. Any less and you won't even cover wear and tear and maintaince on your tractor.

Andy

Tractor
    Mahindra 2810HST

From the post's it seems the cost of living in different regions will affect the price of labor. Around here someone with a tractor enough to run a 15' mower would have a good laugh at the idea of hauling it anywhere, 4 times a year & then working it for $750.00 total. $1600.00 would probably not entice them either.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

<font color="blue"> The county I live in has a communication tower located next to my property. </font>

I just recently was informed the the landowners in Ky get about 10K annually for the lease for the land in this situation. I would not be surprised that there is also a swweetheart deal going on with the landowner on the mowing? If so, You probably wont get the bid at any price? Of course, If it is a public utility and not privately held, the records and bids should be open for everyone to see.--Ken Sweet

SWeet Farm Equipment LLC *Just Added a Line of Livestock,Gates,Waterers,Feeders,Headgates*

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

It was not mentioned so I was wondering if the bid required the contractor to have insurance? It would here to work on any government contract service. The contractor bangs up their fence gate, it cost half of the years take, they say screw it and the city is stuck with the bill. If you added in the cost of commercial insurance I could not come close to being competitive without much larger equipment and a steady stream of work.

It would be nice to come up with a little extra money if it was next door and a flexable schedule though.

MarkV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast