Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum.

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #1  

donotfear

Tractor
Mahindra Max 28 XL
Well, I was trying to put the diesel in with those new cans, and I knocked the strainer basket thing in the tank! (yeah, I'm female, bare with me please:laughing:). So I made a couple of calls and was told it wouldn't hurt it to run it with the thing floating around in there. We tried to fish it out, but no such luck.

I did about 20 minutes of dirt work, then started losing torque (whatever it is that accelerates). The hand just started dropping on it's own. You know, the stick thing-a-ma-bob in front of the wheel. The stick stayed in place, but the gage starts going down.

Went off & on like that about 10 minutes, then nearly died. When I would shift to a lower gear, it would rev up more, then slow down. So I park the tractor, go inside and started surfing around on the web to see what I could learn.

1. It could be one of 3 things;
  2. Bad Diesel...I had just filled it.
  3. Screen/Filter blocking fuel line somehow.
  4. Whatever in the heck any other thing could be.

I got one of those claw things that you put in the tank to grab it, but I can't see the thing in there. I tried to feel around, but nothing. Grabbed the line that was in there, but didn't hurt it.

I drained the tank of all the diesel, then tried. No luck. Rats. Now what? Wait until dark, shine a light in there and try to get it out?
Put in new diesel?

I don't have a clue. If it comes to removing the tank, then I'll have to get help with that, can't do myself, don't have the strength or know-how.
I don't know, what do you all think?

Crazy Tractor Lady

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #2  
I can't believe a mesh strainer would plug the line unless there was crap in the basket that got released into the tank when it punched through. Maybe you got some crap fuel.

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #3  
When the engine loses power it could be air or fuel. If there was a cloud of black smoke out the exhaust I'm sure you would have mentioned it. With that said, I'd look at fuel. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and see if you get a good flow of fuel. If you don't, then a blockage would be between the pump and the tank. It could be the fuel filter or something stuck in the line. This will give you a starting point to look for the problem. Post what you find.

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #4  
Is it remotely possible that something else fell in the tank at the same time? Otherwise, I'm with Norm. Where was the fuel from and was it fresh?

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #5  
Is it remotely possible that something else fell in the tank at the same time? Otherwise, I'm with Norm. Where was the fuel from and was it fresh?

There are other threads discussing this same issue and some folks do have stalling issues.

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #6  
Go with simple answers first. Do you have another cap on it and is a cap needed for proper operation?

I'd find some way to get that cap out of there. My guess is that's the highest probability answer.

EDIT---Just re-read your first post and realize it's just the screen and not the cap. I'm still going with the screen first. Get it out some way.

Last edited:
   / Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #7  
Go with simple answers first. Do you have another cap on it and is a cap needed for proper operation?

I'd find some way to get that cap out of there. My guess is that's the highest probability answer.
Guessing it is strainer from can not the tractor.
If its metal use a magnet. With all the sloshing I doubt it would stay put right over the outlet.
Its a strainer made for fuel to move through not very probable it causes an issue, but possible. Bad fuel is the guess here

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum. #8  
As to getting the cap out - you might try getting a small flexible mirror (or a borescope or endoscope to hook up to a phone or laptop) to find where the cap is.
Then use a magnet or your "claw thing" to grab it.
Be careful looking in with a light, sparks could make the tank go bang.

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum.
The strainer was actually plastic with aluminum basket, I assume. That's why I got the claw thing.

Okay, I'm going to work on getting it out tonight, when not so much light around (makes it harder to see inside with flashlight). Saw this method posted elsewhere.

I kinda think it might be crammed into the right hand corner. I fished around in there, but couldn't tell where it was. If I can get it out, I'll re-fill with diesel from another gas pump location. It was a Shell pump at an EZ-Mart. Funny thing was, I tried to use one side of the pump and it would not engage I switched sides and it engaged immediately. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

So, if I can't get it out, I'll break down and call the guy who came out to service it for me last month. Last resort. Then if there is still problems, Woe is me.

I'll keep ya posted. And I'll be careful, especially with the flashlight. Still a tad bit of fuel left in the bottom. I refuse to let this thing bog me down. I've come a long way with learning to use it, still learning.
Thanks and I will repost soon. Much appreciation.
P.S. No chance of anything else falling in at the time I filled it.

Crazy Tractor Lady

/ Diesel Cap Filter Fell into Tank. Tractor decelarates, loses momentum.
When the engine loses power it could be air or fuel. If there was a cloud of black smoke out the exhaust I'm sure you would have mentioned it. With that said, I'd look at fuel. Disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump and see if you get a good flow of fuel. If you don't, then a blockage would be between the pump and the tank. It could be the fuel filter or something stuck in the line. This will give you a starting point to look for the problem. Post what you find.

Just noted this. When I first start the engine, there is usually a cloud of light black smoke, but it's only at the start. Nothing as I use the tractor.