PTO Safety Question/Experiences

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #1  

gardner175

Tractor
Mahindra 4550
I have a question about safety practices for connecting equipment to my tractor PTO drive. I have a 2014 Mahindra 4550 4WD. The PTO is mechanically activated. I need to depress the clutch, move the PTO lever to the on position (which some times requires a bit of effort and futzing), then let the clutch out to engage the PTO.

The tractor safety instructions state that the tractor must be turned off to safely connect implements to the PTO. My problem is that in my machine shed I can not park the tractor so I can close the door and also have enough room to move my brush hog or rototiller behind the tractor and connect them to the PTO. (I store the brush hog and rototiller on dollies so they can be moved in and out of storage easily to save space.) To mount and connect either implement I need to start the tractor (a diesel) move it forward about 6 feet so the FEL is outside the shed so I have room to mount the implements. This is the first diesel I've owned and a 都tart-short run to move 6 ft-trun off doesn't seem smart for the engine.

I am looking for some information from you experienced tractor owners/operators with mechanically operated PTOs.

Is it really a safety issue to connect the PTO while the tractor is running? Is any one aware of a mechanically activated PTO, like the one on my tractor, ever activating without the operator intentionally moving the activation lever?

I understand feasibility of an electronically activated control going rogue and starting without operator action. And while I don't want to take unnecessary chances or do something stupid, it does not seem feasible that my PTO can activate while the tractor is running without me, or someone in the drivers seat, depressing the clutch and engaging the activation lever. It seems the safety precautions may be a bit overblown just because they legally need to be. I also recognize I don't have a lot of tractor experience, and don't have anywhere to go for answers/advice on this question.

Any help, experiences, stories, or knowledge you could share will be greatly appreciated. I want to be safe and not be injured, or worse, from a bad decision on equipment operation.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #2  
Should be no problem to let it idle, it's physical impossible that the PTO should engage it self.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #3  
Should be no problem to let it idle, it's physical impossible that the PTO should engage it self.

I'd second that, the manufacture is insuring that they are not liable when some one really screws up,
such as trying to connect a pto shaft to a rotating pto.
It has been done, usually by the same people that will routinely climb across running pto's with loose and floppy clothing and hair.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #4  
Any one who would tell you to attach an implement to the PTO with the tractor running would be extremely negligent in our "safety at all costs" society. Therefore I am not going to tell you that I have indeed attached a driveline to a PTO with the tractor running countless times over the years on all types of PTO's without an incident. (I will probably get flamed by some safety advocate for admitting that:) If anyone else were even around the tractor I would be extremely cautious of any of it's powered appendages though. As an example, they could easily accidentally drop the three point while you are attaching the PTO drive and lower a mower onto your foot. All in all your common sense is your best protection.

Also, out of curiosity, how many factory installed PTO Guards do you actually still see in place on a tractor that has been in use for a year or more? Most of those **** things are a total PITA, making access to attach things to the PTO much more difficult, therefore dangerous.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #5  
I never really thought about it with my last tractor I often would lift the front tires off the ground so that I could use the loader to move it back and forth to line things up. Other times it's handy to engage the PTO and shut the engine off, so that the shaft doesn't turn as I try to line up the splines. It did have the PTO cover on when I sold it after 15 years. My new tractor has the electric PTO so it's a moot point; I shut it off for the reasons the OP suggested.
What I would like to find is a cover for the PTO shaft to keep dirt off it when nothing's attached; I keep a coating of grease on it which gets caked with dirt when I'm harrowing.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #6  
Well - it may take a little longer but count me as one who turns his tractor OFF when connecting/disconnecting any PTO driven equipment. Any mechanical device can malfunction.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #7  
all it may take is for a bearing to mess up and that PTO is turning,

yes the probability is so low that it may be nearly 0, but still it is your arms and legs and life, if it does for some reason malfunction, and there may not be anyone around to rescue you,

My brother in law, was unhooking a three point blade on a new tractor, just like the old tractor and even tho he had done it many many times in the past, he reached in and manually manipulated the three point lever from the back of the tractor,(under the shielding), he had the top link unhooked, the arms rose very fast and caught his arm tearing his muscles from the elbow down to his wrist,
pinning him for about three hours in freezing weather, (the cold was probably why he did not bleed to death), his wife came in from town and saw the tractor running and could not find him and went to investigate, found him pinned, (the blade pulled forward and would not slide back down even tho he could still touch the lever,

short cuts can be very dangerous, and you may get by with them for hundreds if not thousands of times before it gets one,

kind of like bull riding it is not IF you will get hurt, but when and how bad,

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #8  
In answer to your unasked question it is not a big deal to fire up the tractor, move it 6 feet and turn it off.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #9  
In answer to your unasked question it is not a big deal to fire up the tractor, move it 6 feet and turn it off.

Best answer :)

/edit - but I'd let it warm up before I turned it off and hooked up the PTO.

/ PTO Safety Question/Experiences #10  
Well - it may take a little longer but count me as one who turns his tractor OFF when connecting/disconnecting any PTO driven equipment. Any mechanical device can malfunction.
This. I do my best to not get close enough to the PTO that I could fall in it and get stuck with the engine running.
If it concerns you to hook up the PTO in the barn, hook up the 3 point, leave the PTO disconnected and pull out of the barn. Then shut down the tractor and connect the PTO.

Just remember, whatever the cost of the wear and tear that running for a short time puts on the tractor is MUCH less than what it will cost you to get healthy again if the PTO somehow turns on while you are touching it...

Aaron Z