Air Comb for Air Filter?

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #1  

sdquick

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Has anyone used one of these to blow out an air filter? I am thinking of getting or making one to simplify maintenance. Thoughts?
I searched and could not find any information on the forum. Please redirect me if this is on another thread. Thanks -Shawn

Amazon.com: Innovative Products of America 8:confused: Air Comb 12" Filter Cleaner: Automotive

21amGe5MydL.jpg

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #2  
I have an Air Comb.. I utilize it to clean air filters,radiators & AC condensers. Mine is 24'' long.

Last edited:
   / Air Comb for Air Filter?
Thanks, I assume it works well, is 12 inches the right size? (I know, that's what she said...)

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #4  
I made my own. Rather than tiny holes down the "nozzle" - I put a 90 degree bend at the end. Turn the air pressure down and blow the dust out from inside the filter.

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #5  
Has anyone used one of these to blow out an air filter? I am thinking of getting or making one to simplify maintenance. Thoughts?
I searched and could not find any information on the forum. Please redirect me if this is on another thread. Thanks -Shawn

Amazon.com: Innovative Products of America 85 Air Comb 12" Filter Cleaner: Automotive

View attachment 555115

That should work as well as any of the others I have seen. I would get the 24" one in-case you need to stretch a little to reach the target. 12" seams short and 36" is too long for me. Remember, as oosik said, lower the preassure. 30 psi works for me.
I use the radiator genie with air and water wands.

Radiator Genie - Water & Air Cleaning Wands for High Efficiency Cooling Systems and Radiators - Blow Out / Wash Out Kit - - Amazon.com

radiator-genie-product.jpg

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #6  
That should work as well as any of the others I have seen. I would get the 24" one in-case you need to stretch a little to reach the target. 12" seams short and 36" is too long for me. Remember, as oosik said, lower the preassure. 30 psi works for me.
I use the radiator genie with air and water wands.

Radiator Genie - Water & Air Cleaning Wands for High Efficiency Cooling Systems and Radiators - Blow Out / Wash Out Kit - - Amazon.com

View attachment 555132

I have this same kit. Works great.

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #7  
The air comb seems like a good deal for air cleaners - although I have no idea if blowing out an air cleaner from the inside has any effect on how much grit gets in the engine. Instinctively it seems like it would help, but I've been wrong enough times to make me curious. How much change does it really make?
I wonder if anyone done any real testing that shows how using an air comb compares to a new air cleaner?

For that matter, one of my older tractors has a reusable oil bath air filter. How well does that work compared to replaceable dry elements? Anyone know of any studies?
rScotty

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #8  
Does it restrict the air flow so you don't damage the pleats of the filter? One would think that you would want good pressure and volume to clean a radiator and much less so for a filter.

/ Air Comb for Air Filter?
Thanks for the input and thoughts!!!

/ Air Comb for Air Filter? #10  
Nearly every (at least every one I've ever come across) OEM says not to blow out air filters (except pre filters). What i've been taught is that the filter effectiveness (i.e. how small a particle that can pass though is) increases as the filter becomes clogged, and that blowing out an air filter, only serves to either A: push the really fine stuff further into the filter and decrease efficiency (the vacuum loss across the filter) or B: damage the paper element and cause potential for particulates to move through. Large equipment OEM's generally recommend to only touch an air filter when the vacuum gauge indicates that it is becoming plugged. I personally use the daylight test - if you can't see daylight though the filter, its time to change the filter.

on a second note, I've never seen an air comb, but it looks like it could be very helpful for blowing crap out of other places like radiators and guard screens.