Traction Tractor Cover

/ Tractor Cover #1  

Diane59

Tractor
Kubota 33 HP HST
Hi, We don't have a place to store our tractor yet and was wondering what everyone else does for a tractor cover. Any ideas? What are the brand names you like and pros/cons? Thanks in advance for the help! Diane

/ Tractor Cover #2  
Well - no idea of any covers by brand. Internet search should provide results. Main reason I would cover the tractor - keep the tires out of the sun. UV from the sun will really tear h*ll out of tires.

Consider this - a covered tractor provides a good hiding spot for small rodents. The "wrong" cover in a breeze with sand paper you pretty new tractor finish.

If I had to leave my tractor out in the open - cover the tires, cover the seat, cover the dash. All three can be adversely affected by sun.

/ Tractor Cover #3  
The 8x12' HF silver tarp last about it year or so. On the 3000&3600 they make a perfect tent and stay on well. I use drive way reflector marker stick on each end to form the tent and attach it to the tractors.

/ Tractor Cover #4  
Yup - Tarp and bungies. Pretty good protection and way better than nothing.

P1170165.JPG

gg

/ Tractor Cover #5  
Horror Freight portable garage 10x17 that would work. I got one a few years ago with coupon for under$150 with tax to store some other stuff. Hopefully I'll get pole barn finished this year and maybe use it for firewood storage, something else or give it away.

I had one before this that wasn't as well made and got 7 or 8 years out of it. On old style you couldn't order just a replacement cover, don't know on new ones.

They also have a 10'x20' car canopy for $120, but with a 25% off coupon....not too bad

/ Tractor Cover #7  
IMO, if you're going to use a tarp, run a line between a couple of trees as a ridgeline, pitch the tarp in an 'A' configuration (either square or offset 45deg), park the tractor underneath, then stake down the corners. It'll keep the weather off better and eliminate the tarp from resting on the machine, where it will trap moisture and potentially cause rust spots.

Otherwise, maybe something like a ShelterLogic garage. I think the 'SUV' models are taller / have bigger doors, and the ones that aren't snow rated aren't that expensive.

/ Tractor Cover #8  
IMO, if you're going to use a tarp, run a line between a couple of trees as a ridgeline, pitch the tarp in an 'A' configuration (either square or offset 45deg), park the tractor underneath, then stake down the corners. It'll keep the weather off better and eliminate the tarp from resting on the machine, where it will trap moisture and potentially cause rust spots.

Otherwise, maybe something like a ShelterLogic garage. I think the 'SUV' models are taller / have bigger doors, and the ones that aren't snow rated aren't that expensive.
Do you not not have wind damage to the tarp and tractor?

/ Tractor Cover #9  
I have my small tractor under a metal carport type shed I purchased from a portable building company for $600. It was a lot model I had to reasemble myself. It keeps the sun off but the tractor still gets filthy. Have so far kept the rodents away with smelly moth balls. I think you can get a 12x20 delivered and put up for under a grand.

My 99 model backhoe sits out in the weather as it has it's whole life. I think it may have one original tire. Rodents have been a problem a couple of times but I have caught it before major damage. I stuck a bag of mothballs on top of the radiator the other day. Hopefully that will help.

I know someone that had to resort to leaving the hoods open on their vehicles. Rats destroyed wiring harness twice to the tune of $1200 a pop. If the tractor sits more than a week at a time you need to keep check for rodents. Squirrels are as bad or worse as rats.

With a high enough wind tarps will abraid and damage a finish. They are also difficult to get positioned so you don't have water sitting in some spots. Just messy to deal with in my opinion.

/ Tractor Cover #10  
Local friend has his parked on his land in the woods. Throws a tarp over it with bungees. I said that was worse than just leaving it uncovered since the trees will shade it mostly. He was sure tarping it would be better. The mice agreed and love their new home :)