Hydro Drive Maintenance

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #1  

unclehan

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a tractor with hydrostatic transmission.

Do they require a lot of maintenance? Do they leak a lot?

How many hours can the seals last before replacement?

Thanks.

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #2  
Hello! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Regular maintance usually consists of changing a hydraulic filter, topping off the hydraulic fluid level, and that's about it for the hydrostatic equipment that I own. It shouldn't leak. If it does, there is a problem.

As for how many hours before seals start to go, there are probably too many variables to figure that out. For instance, if you run in dirty conditions all the time, check the fluid levels without cleaning the cap first, never change the filters, let it over heat often and get dirt in your hydraulic quick connectors all the time, it probably won't last as long as somone that maintains their equipment as suggested by the manufacturer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'd check with some high hour owners of the units that you are considering and see what they have to say.

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #3  
I have over 900 hours on my Kubota B2710 HST with no problems. Regular maintenance must be performed according to the manufacturers schedule. If you do this yours will last a lifetime.

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #4  
Hydrostatic pumps and motors are no more prone to leaks and seal wear than engine mounted hydraulic pumps used for the 3PH or FEL. I'd say they should last the life of the tractor with no problems.

Change your fluid and filters and you'll be fine. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #5  
I have three tractors with hydrostatic transmissions. The oldest is a 1974 Allis Chalmers 620 with 1200 hours. I change the hydrostatic filter every 100hrs (use an aftermarket Fram) and changed the fluid once. The hydro has no leaks and works like it did when new. Hydrostatic transmissions are extremely reliable and easy to maintain.

OrangeGuy

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #6  
This is somewhat of a stretch when applied to CUTs but my dad bought us Simplicity 20hp hydro in 1980. It lived a long a brutal life- I cut alot of neighbors yards, plus our 3 acres. It finally died in 2001.

/ Hydro Drive Maintenance #7  
They like a lot of fresh oil! I've seen a cub cadet with 1000 hours on it with a shot transmission, but the more commercial grade stuff like you'd find is a typical CUT or SCUT is probably a lot more durable, but I've yet to hear of anybody with 5000+ hours on one, so it's hard to say what happens in the long term. Except for the oil and filter changes, they are pretty maintenance free.

- Patrick