quality tractor time today

/ quality tractor time today #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I got home from work, tired as usual, and was hoping to get some dinner and hit the sack early. Instead, my wife comes in and says that she met an elderly gentleman who was talking about tractors while she was at work last night. She mentioned I had antiques, etc. Anyway apparently this old gent had grown up on a sizeable farm and some of his first chores were on a 2n.. etc. She mentioned that he might come over and see my tractors and talk tractors with me for a while. Well anyway.. he called today before I got home and she had invited him over. I was tired but figured what the heck.

Well.. he hadn;t even gotten into the house yet when he saw my 2n in the garage.. I think he almost started crying. We kicked the tires for about 20 minutes as he smoked it over.

Went inside and showed each other some pictures of our tractors.. and ones he had ( a nice oliver at one time.. and currently a basket case..case.. pun intended..)

Went outside and saw my 8n.. then jd B.. then my NAA and then my IH cub.

Gave a pasing glance at my NH 1920 as well. That was about all the time I had as I had to get to some chores.. but he left looking real happy.

I'm glad I wasn't too tired for the old fellow to come over after all.

Soundguy

/ quality tractor time today #2  
You're a stand up guy, Soundguy. When you ABSOLUTELY know that you have no time, and are too tired and worn out, and you still make an effort to show a little kindness...those can be the most personally rewarding times possible. Probably made the old gents year! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ quality tractor time today #3  
That's a nice story. That old man will tell everyone he knows what a nice tractor guy he met the other day, and seeing your tractors will probably bring back memories for him for a weeks to come. Good deeds usually come back to you, and besides, you seem to have enjoyed the conversation too. Benifits all around.

Cliff

/ quality tractor time today #4  
That's a nice story. It won't be long until the time you and I are "that old guy" ourselves. If you two hit it off you might even think about asking him over to 'help you' with some small task with your tractors. Hi might get quite a kick out of that. I've found these old guys to bee just an absolute wealth of knowledge and stories.

I wish I had a guy like that I could call and spend some time with. I enjoy that sort of thing.

/ quality tractor time today #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I wish I had a guy like that I could call and spend some time with. I enjoy that sort of thing. )</font>
Have you ever considered visiting a local nursing home? I'd just bet there's someone there who used tractors, and could really use a visit from someone who likes tractors. The staff could probably tell you of someone like that. Possibly, the man could even be able to visit your home. I can tell you from experience that there a loads of lonely people in nursing homes who never get visits from anyone. I've spent some of the best hours of my life visiting them. John

/ quality tractor time today #6  
That is truly quality tractor time - even though you didn't get any of your chores done. Good job - I hope that when it is my time that there will be folks like you around to bring back the good memories... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ quality tractor time today
I did have a great time. And yes.. he did have quite a bit of info.. besides he strikes me as a tinkerer, as he told me how he fixed or modified things on his tractor back when he farmed.

I did end up getting the chores done.. though it was wet and dark when I did... ( horse stalls wait for no man!.. well.. maybee a few hours anyway... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

I'm actually surprised he came over. It's hard to meet someone thru a contact or via phone.. and then actually break the ice and drive over.. Funny thing was each of us had our tractor pictures in hand when I walk ed out the front door t greet him.

Soundguy

/ quality tractor time today #8  
Fantastic. In the fifties I feel I'm quickly becoming the older fella down the road. There are so many stories our friends, neighbors and relative have to share and if we don't gather them up and pass them along they will be lost forever.

My Granfather worked in the oil fields of west Texas during the depression, he died when I was 11. I have worked in the oilfields in Ohio for 28 years and how I would love to sit and talk to him about those times. My Dad stormed Omaha beach in the big one. He don't like to talk about it much. Will his grandchildren or great grandchildren know what he did or what it was like?

Take time to listen to the stories of our Parents and Grandparents generation, then share with our children and grandchildren. We have computers, video cameras, tape recorders and pencils, record these pieces of history before the pass on. These are great parts that will probably be lost in a generation if we don't take the time.

Thanks for taking the time with this person.

/ quality tractor time today #9  
Sounds like a real nice meeting, Chris. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I met an older retired fellow a few weeks ago. He actually signed up to be a sub on our church golf team. He was subbing for my teamate that night, so we of course chatted when we weren't chasing the little white ball.

Over the course of the evening, I discovered that he has 8 fully restored JD antique tractors sitting in his maintenance shed. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He told me that a bunch of the other collectors in the area keep trying to get him to bring some of his tractors to some of the shows in the area. He doesn't want to do it, because "it's too much of a hassle."

Well, I informed him about my interest in tractors, and went into great deatil about TBN. I also commented that I'd LOVE to see his collection some time. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

He didn't take the hint. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif No invitation - yet! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll keep working on him, and when I do get the invite, I'll take my camera along.

I also told him that I'd love to get some advice from him on operating tips and the ins and outs of tractor usage. I even offered to come out and help him mow his fields if he ever needed help.

I defintely think this is a relationship that I need to encourage. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And please, don't get me wrong. I don't want to just take advantage of the gentleman. He's a very nice fellow, and I think we could have a very enjoyable friendship. It seemed like he would like to have someone to talk to about his tractors and maybe help out once in awhile.

Chris, I hope you have the opportunity to expand your "friendship" with the fellow you met. I bet it would be very interesting and informative. And I also agree with the idea that, if he's physically capable of doing it, he'd love to drive one of your tractors once in awhile. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ quality tractor time today #10  
I just wanted to say nice job. YOU are a great person for doing that.

I hope someone does a nice thing for you sometime soon.

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif