First tractor flat!

/ First tractor flat! #11  
Done it a 100 times easy on the mountains fo wv...cottonfields of alabama...backwoods of maine...in the winter we even sprinkle a little gas on the tire and let it warm up for a few mins..warm tire goes on the rim much better than a rock hard cold one!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif remember i said a little gas!!! and make sure u have a way to put it out too...snow..waster and have a extinguisher nearby ..in case of dire emergency!!!!...here's a ??/ while were at it ..how many of u guys honestly keep an extinguisher in yer trucks???
have also used the boom can many times...for the really stubborn tires...gas the tire..strap it..hit it with the ether after the gas has gone out and then put the boom can to it!!!!
neva had one we couldn't mount!!...in the woods or out on the line!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ First tractor flat! #12  
I hate to disagree with you but I've seen it fail. I saw it blow a hole in the tire but it did go back on the rim. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Guess the guy was a little heavy handed with the ether. To be honest, it was a pretty worn out tire on a rental forklift.

As to your question ... I carry a fire extinguisher in both my trucks. I started after I saw a lady's car go up in flames in the Walmart carpark. After seeing that, it seemed like the sensible thing to do.

Ronbo3, after doing some research on locust trees I found out that you can't kill them by mowing them down. It seems that they can spread by sending up shoots from the roots so mowing can actually help them to spread. I've taken to spraying them in the spring and chain sawing them down in the fall after they die. If you mow them, those thorns lay around on the ground for a long time just waiting for you. I'm really hoping that the Slime works and I don't have another year like last year. I think I spent as much time at the tire shop as I did mowing. So far ... so good.

/ First tractor flat! #13  
"It seems that they can spread by sending up shoots from the roots so mowing can actually help them to spread. I've taken to spraying them in the spring and chain sawing them down in the fall after they die"

It doesn't take but a few weeks for the shoots to have some bad thorns on them either! What are you using to spray them Frank? Roundup? Brush-master? That's probably a better way than trying to dig them out like I've been trying to do.

/ First tractor flat! #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One question---is Slime better/worse than other brands of tire sealer? Any other options I should know about?? How do TBN folks stop/prevent flats on tractors?? )</font>

You might want to look into Ultra Seal.
Ultra Seal Tire Sealant

The company and their product line are very highly regarded by several commercial tire manufacturers, especially Goodyear. They have several formulations, all of which reportedly work in tubless and tubed tires. Their "EHD" (extreme heavy duty) product was developed in conjunction with the U.S. military to plug bullet wounds in Humvees, etc., and it reportedly seals up to half inch punctures. I read that the company is still a major (? exclusive) military contractor for tire sealants.

I have not tried Ultra Seal, but I have been looking into various products to try to avoid the problem you recently encountered. Gemplers carries Ultra Seal, and I am planning to go with it for my Power Trac and its pneumatic tire implements.

Good luck.

/ First tractor flat! #15  
Brings to mind a story of my first tractor years ago. I only used it on weekends, so any downtime was a real "down" time. I'd go out there with a portable air tank, 10 cans of fix-a-flat and hope for the best. SHMBO got a lot of laughs at me stomping around the beast, cursing and kicking.

I just got a BX23 and the first week of clearing brush resulted in 2 flats, one gash was too deep and wide for sealer or Slime. My tractor dealer recommended that I consider foam-filling and I'm so glad he did. I took it to a commercial tire dealer who works on tires for airplanes, dumptrucks, big excavation equipment. They foam filled all 4 tires for about $225 total. They're heavier and the ride is no stiffer than before - one of the potential negatives I'd been warned about with foam. It's great to not worry about flats - at all. The extra weight has helped with ballast also. I wish I'd had it 20 years ago!
Dave

/ First tractor flat! #16  
LOCUST TREES ARE HIGLY PRIZED UP HERE IN MAINE!!!...as they are used by boat builders for keels and the prows for their hardness ...flexibility and their rot resistance!!!send'em all up here and i''find'em a home!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ First tractor flat!
Sorry Polecat, but I won't be sending you any locust trees, since I went and cut down 7 or 8 of them today. Piled them up and waiting for them to dry so I can burn them to ashes. Good news is I only had 1 to fall on me (OUCH!!). Bad news is that I'm sure I missed a few, but I'll BE BACK!
Thanks to all for the advice on flat tires--TBN is a great resource!