Mowing rotary cutter mowing rates

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #11  
Green,

I don't know where in Colorado you are, but here east of Parker, I have heard of guys charging 35 an acre.

I have to go with charging by the hour though, too many variables by the acre. I dont' think I would do it for less than 45/hour.

People were asking me about mowing before the guy delivering the tractor had it off the trailer. I had thought about it a lot until I finished bush hogging my five acres. Here, on property I have walked twice a day for five years I found toys, wire, and yuccas. I also mad a beautiful two iron shot with a good size cobble. All good reasons why Insurance is a must. For me at this time I just don't feel like tearing up my new equipment for other peoples fields. Maybe after a couple hundred hours. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Of course, that being said, I still went and offered to cut the field around the church close by. knew I wouldn't be charging for that and I had already specifically cleared that task with my insurance agent. Problem was I guess I talked about it more with the agent than with the Pastor. The Pastor jumped all over the offer. Of course I was talking about the couple acres around the church and he was talking about the whole thirty-five acres the church sits on /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Lets see, thirtyfive acres with a five foot bush-hog... Should be done in September. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #12  
My tractor is used as a side business. Not to make money, just to help pay for the tractor.

My expenses include:
a rider on my homeowners policy for the tractor $300/yr
Bond coverage for $6000 $200/yr
Liability ins $300,000 $450/yr
Ins for truck and trailer $700/yr
Business Lic. $100/yr
Business loan for truck, trailer, tractor, inplement $700/month
Fuel, maint, misc expenses ??????????
Sales tax 8.2%

In Washington state all of the above are required to run a business legally. Most people do this under the table, but I am a man of integrity and do things legally.

My price is based on these expenses and local rental rates. I am about $8/hr more than the rental rate but includes fuel, insurance and an operator. And that is since I raised my rates. My cost covers expenses working about 25 hours a month.

So the bottom line is until recently and for repeat customers $40/hr until 2005. New customers $50/hr. Industrial customers (Higher likelyhood of ins use) $60/hr. I use these rates for 6' brushhog, 67"tiller, 9.5' BH, FEL work, etc. If I rent equipment the customer pays for it on top of my normal rate. Others doing similar work but usually with older/smaller equipment, no ins, no bonding, no lic, totally under the table charge between $35/hr to 65$/hr. I charge for hauling one way and have a minimum of 1.5 hour charge.

I would only charge by the hour if you do start doing alot of work, If it is only this one job agree on a price after the first time through.

Beware, even very nice people will take advantage of you if you don't give them a price you expect to be paid.

Sorry for babbling on, I have put alot of thought and effort into my pricing and like to help if I can.

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #13  
So considering that your rates are slightly higher than rental or your competition, even though you're providing operator, fuel, etc., how's business? Are you turning away business, or do you find yourself looking for enough business to cover your expenses with a little extra for your pocket?

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #14  
3_V_Dirt_Works...

Any idea what the hourly owning/operating costs are for the equipment...

i.e. life-expectancy depreciation... fuel... maintenance...

Thanks...

Dave...

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #15  
3V- I'm not sure where in Washington you are. I have a small Yanmar with FEL and other implements, a 42" brushhog. I get $35-$40 an hour with that little machine in the Seattle area. With a machine like yours, especially with a backhoe, I would expect to get at least $60 or more. The fact that brushhogging with a 6 foot cutter goes for $25 an hour in the South just blows me away. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif