Mowing rotary cutter mowing rates

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #1  

green4710

Silver Member
Tractor
I'm getting tons of people around here wanting me to mow their fields for them. I have no idea what to charge? I'm getting an 8 foot rotary cutter. Do most people charge by the acre or by the hour on something like this? Id like to be very accommodating to my customers, but I need to make money also. Any ideas?
Thanks!

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #2  
I did a Search on All Forums for the phrase "what to charge" and found this discussion on the same subject. Pay particular attention to the insurance issue.

Here's another discussion that touches on a lot of mower-for-hire issues.

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #3  
Just out of curiosity, how did all of these people get your name or hear that you will do mowing?

Did you send out brochures? Post announcements on telephone poles? Just word of mouth? Ads in the local paper?

I'm planning on doing similar work after I retire. Just wondering how you get the word out there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #4  
Here in Ky, we have a lot of new people moving into the area with no tractors and equipment and they usually have bought 3 to 50 acres. The 2 biggest custom mowers in the county get $25 per acre or $25 per hour and they do have a minimum for a small lot that would include a transport fee + regular rates--They do carry liability insurance and also get a liability waiver signed by propety owner before they start mowing--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New 5 Ft First Choice Double Action Sickle Mowers for CUTS*

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #6  
$20-$30/hour seems to be the going rate in our area. I would encourage you to go by the hour. I have a friend that did the acre or hour thing. Customers that chose the acre route always complained about the cut and wanted him to go slower. He switched to hourly and all the complaints went away. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ rotary cutter mowing rates
Thanks so much for the quick responses! I didnt advertise, people just drove by while i was mowing the 3 acres around my house, and viola! I think an hourly charge is a better way to go. I'm not that good at measuring a field for acerage.
Thanks a bunch!

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #8  
Just another thought. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Have you checked around in your area to see what others are charging for similar services. If you're going to do this seriously, you need to know what the competition is doing as well! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ rotary cutter mowing rates
Wow, this is getting in depth. I guess if I'm going to do it commercially, im going to need insurance, a trailer, etc. But calling around is a great idea. Thank you.

/ rotary cutter mowing rates #10  
www.lawncafe.com

is a website that attracts alot of professional lawn care people. It might be a good place to look for rates.