3-Point Hitch PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #1  

WhoWasJohnGalt

Tractor
Deere
Every year about this time I spend a painful hour or two trying to wrestle the PTO connector from my brush mower to my JD3046R. I have white lithium greased the male end on the tractor and all the parts of the female coupler, making sure the two ball bearings recess easily. But when I line up the splines, I can never get more than about 3/4 of The tip into the female connector and then no amount of wrestling, wiggling, jiggling or kicking can get that shaft engaged fully (see photo). Usually after an hour ow two it will magically finally click into place and look at me as if to say was that so hard? This morning I pulled a muscle in my back and popped my hip out of joint and still could not get the PTO engaged. I have tried adjusting the height on the implement to have the shaft straight and also tried it slightly higher. I had to leave for my off farm job so I知 looking for pointers before I head out again this afternoon. Any thoughts?

ECDC5774-1A73-4701-98CE-1E7C0BF9354F.JPG

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #2  
It WAS the bane of my existence until I recognized 2 things.

1. I made a strap to connect to my 3pth arms, which slings under the PTO shaft I made the strap hook on one side and loose on the other. I wrap the loose end around the close side 3pt arm until the height is 'perfect', then tie it off. It keeps me from having to hold the shaft as I wrestle with it.

2. I had been attaching the PTO shaft while the tractor was running. Thus, I was always just a hair of a turn off from where I needed to be, and had to attempt to turn the PTO shaft of the implement, as with the tractor running, I couldn't turn the tractor shaft at all. (I just didn't recognize). Try turning a 15' batwing PTO shaft by hand... One time, fortuitously, I had turned the tractor off to clear hydraulic line pressure, and BAM!!! I could freely turn the tractor shaft to fit the implement rather than the implement to fit the tractor.

Those two things have change PTO attachment from a 15-20min frustration into a 2min smile.

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #3  
I can never get more than about 3/4 of The tip into the female connector
View attachment 557647

Yep, I've had that problem. Answer is to always use more lube. :rolleyes:

But seriously, does the PTO shaft "telescope" freely? That is, is the problem at the pto connector and spline or does the shaft have problem telescoping?
Spline looks rusty? Wonder if some steel wool would help?
Like Dadnatron mentioned, I take a bungee and hang the PTO shaft off the top link, this frees up more of my energy to focus making the connection

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #4  
Subscribed!
I have the same problem with my Howse bush hog. All my other implements, no problem, but that bush hog is a major pain.
Waiting for someone to chime in.....

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R
Yep, I've had that problem. Answer is to always use more lube. :rolleyes:

But seriously, does the PTO shaft "telescope" freely? That is, is the problem at the pto connector and spline or does the shaft have problem telescoping?
Spline looks rusty? Wonder if some steel wool would help?
Like Dadnatron mentioned, I take a bungee and hang the PTO shaft off the top link, this frees up more of my energy to focus making the connection

Thanks for the tips! I'll try shutting down the engine and the bungee cord option. The shaft does telescope fairly easily. I've cleaned the head end of the PTO spline but I can always try adding more grease.

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #6  
Personally I see possible problem with rust on shaft if it is correct picture in thread.... I would clean shaft extremely well and coat with heavy grease, and when not is use cover with something to protect it from dirt and rust ... Clamp a section of hose over it?....This is a semi precision fit, RUST destroys the precision....

Dale

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #7  
Those newer pto shaft hookup thingies are the bane of everyone's existence. There should be a special, very hot level of h*** for whatever penny pinching engineer came up with that infernal contraption. And yes, lots of lubricant combined with turning the tractor off makes it much easier. FWIW I would never screw around with a pto shaft while the tractor is running. I don't care to lose my arm or my life in a freak accident

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #8  
I too wish they would go back to the old single push pin disengagement for the pto implements, instead of trying to hold a ring to the rear while trying to line up the splines and then push the shaft on, or rotate a sleeve to disengage the balls, but don't turn too far or otherwise the balls will engage again.

/ PTO connect brush mower to JD3046R #10  
The PTO coupler locks I have used have allowed the PTO shaft to go into the coupler a half inch or so without pressing the button or pulling the collar to unlock the lock. I use that to get the coupler started, then activate the lock to slide it on the rest of the way.