Backhoe Stabilizers, How To

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #1  

TomIre

Gold Member
Tractor
Branson 3725
I was watching an Air Force training video on backhoe ops (what can I say, it's an exciting life i know!) and they made a point of using the stabilizers to lift the back tires completely clear of the ground. The reason they gave was "it saves the tires and suspension". Can't argue that. If they aren't touching anything there isn't going to be any wear.
My manual makes a point of saying to leave the tires on the ground for "added stability". Can't argue that either. The more that is in contact with the ground the better the stability.
What say you? Tires on the ground or off?

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #2  
What was/is the weight of the two backhoes?

Bruce

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #3  
I leave mine touching the ground. When I see them start to unload, I stop. I have loaded tires and want that weight helping stabilize the tractor.

My two cents.

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #4  
I don't know what hoe you are looking at or using. I have a little 970 TLB with a frame mount 8A backhoe, smaller than most out there. I try to take about half the weight off the rear tires and use the cutting edge of the loader to take some of the weight off the front end. Still set up like that I'll take to much of a bite and the hoe will move the tractor. Trenching I use the loader as a parking break and when it's time to move the hoe, raise the bucket and use the arm to push the tractor to the new position. Set the stabilizers again and the front bucket, resume digging the trench. I have a small bucket ( 13" trench bucket ) thinking it might be hard to keep the tractor in place with a larger digging bucket.
Chris

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #5  
What kind of backhoe has a suspension! !?? All of the case hoes I ran were ridgid mount. The biggest thing is to level the machine. It's easier to swing when you are level and most things being dug benefit from a level bottom. The tires are way to spongy to provide much stabilizing benefit unless the ground is pure muck.

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #7  
I usually attempt to level the machine which means one tire is off the ground.

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #8  
Difference is probably in what you are calling a "backhoe". An actual construction backhoe like a JD 310 or Case 580, it's a good practice to "ground" the machine with the bucket and stabilizers leaving all 4 tires slightly off the ground. Something much lighter like a compact tractor with BH attachment - I have no idea since never used one of those, but could see where just loading the stabilizers and bucket with a lot of weight but not actually getting off the ground might make it less prone to get drug around by the hoe. But on a construction backhoe, you will feel the difference curling front bucket, digging lip in, and raising all 4 tires a couple inches vs just dropping bucket and stabilizers to ground. Machine will move/bounce much less and just stay planted

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To #9  
Dont get enough weight on the outriggers, and the backhoe will drag the machine around easier. One way to ensure you have all the weight you can on the outriggers, is to get all the weight off the tires:thumbsup:

/ Backhoe Stabilizers, How To
It was JD 310 in the training video.