3-Point Hitch New Holland TC29D PTO not disengaging

/ New Holland TC29D PTO not disengaging #1  

fred.hayfarm

Tractor
New Holland TC29D
I ran my rear mower for about 15 minutes and then headed to the barn as weather was coming. I set the engine RPM to 1500, stepped on the clutch and pulled back on the rear PTO lever. It seemed to come back OK. I did not hear anything from the mower and thought it had stopped turning. On the way in I noticed the PTO instrument panel light was on. With the clutch depressed I pulled back a few times on the lever with no change in the light. I did not try to re-engage the PTO. I figured I could work on it next day, so I shut down the tractor (mistake!). Next day the tractor would not start due to PTO interlock (light still on). I could move the PTO lever forward an inch and back. The lever going down to the gearbox is clear. The PTO fuse is good. The tractor has 500 hours. I got it at 400. The PTO and FWD levers have always been hard to move, but worked OK. Is it even possible to move those levers without the engine turning? I also noticed that the clutch pedal depresses but the connecting rod back to the gearbox does not move. Is that normal with the engine off? I am considering lifting the rear tires off the ground to see if turning them might free up the transmission so I can fully disengage the PTO. Is that realistic?
Other ideas? Thanks!

/ New Holland TC29D PTO not disengaging #2  
the clutch pedal depresses but the connecting rod back to the gearbox does not move.

Almost sounds like a sheared key on the clutch pedal shaft where the connecting rod attaches.

/ New Holland TC29D PTO not disengaging #3  
There is a wiring harness connector in the left rear wheel well. Check and make sure it is connected, or the light will come on all the time and cause a no start situation.

/ New Holland TC29D PTO not disengaging
Thanks, showcattle! I had looked and looked on my back with a flashlight up through a nest of wires and linkages, and I couldn't see the problem. However, I had someone else give it a try and they found the disconnect. How that disconnect happened is a mystery. How I couldn't see it is also a mystery, but that is another problem. Your help much appreciated.

/ New Holland TC29D PTO not disengaging #5  
Thanks, showcattle! I had looked and looked on my back with a flashlight up through a nest of wires and linkages, and I couldn't see the problem. However, I had someone else give it a try and they found the disconnect. How that disconnect happened is a mystery. How I couldn't see it is also a mystery, but that is another problem. Your help much appreciated.

The only reason why I know is because I was stranded in the woods when the same thing happened. PTO light was on, and tractor wouldn't start. I suppose a limb or something pulled ours apart while we were cutting firewood.