PTO connect battle

/ PTO connect battle #31  
Yeah, well, as you get more practice you start working smarter instead of working harder. :D

Yeah, what he said^^^^ And I've yet to see a PTO shaft assembly come with directions as to how to install the yolk onto the PTO shaft stub.
And like grease guns- you'd be amazed at how many people have been using them for entire lifetimes and can't figure out why the knurled end gets stuck on some zerks. And that the working end of the gun's hose/pipe usually has knurled section that allows loosening or tightening of the internal jaw pieces to allow removal from a zerk?
These things seem obvious once the knowledge is acquired, but not until then.

/ PTO connect battle #32  
To go even further off topic...

How many realize kitchen wrap dispenser boxes (foil, wax paper, plastic etc...) have indent tabs on the ends to keep the rolls from popping out of the box ??

/ PTO connect battle #33  
To go even further off topic...

How many realize kitchen wrap dispenser boxes (foil, wax paper, plastic etc...) have indent tabs on the ends to keep the rolls from popping out of the box ??

Me! Me!... (raises hand) :)

Yep, figured that out on my own a couple of years ago.... I am 63...:)

/ PTO connect battle #34  
Yeah, what he said^^^^ And I've yet to see a PTO shaft assembly come with directions as to how to install the yolk onto the PTO shaft stub.
And like grease guns- you'd be amazed at how many people have been using them for entire lifetimes and can't figure out why the knurled end gets stuck on some zerks. And that the working end of the gun's hose/pipe usually has knurled section that allows loosening or tightening of the internal jaw pieces to allow removal from a zerk?
These things seem obvious once the knowledge is acquired, but not until then.

Yeah, they don't come with directions, tool-tips or even vague hints...

/ PTO connect battle #35  
Got a new PTO shaft from Bare Co (for my bush hog) and their guards make it a LOT easier to connect the shaft. I believe that you can retrofit (I have not done so as I bought a complete PTO shaft [needed one]).

PTO Shaft Cover | BARE-Co

Locking lever are a quick pop-out and then slide the collars back and you've got full exposure to the actual shaft end. As stated, it make it a LOT easier to connect up PTO shafts.

/ PTO connect battle
I realize the way I wrote the original post sounds like I was blaming the button as part of my problem aligning the shaft. I have connected PTO shafts for many years and fully realize you don't have to have the button depressed to get the splines started. (Heck, I'm so old and experienced I even knew about the punch ends on kitchen wrap.) My main intention of this thread was to point out the two changes I made that improved the PTO connection experience for me.

Thanks to those who suggested putting the PTO selector in the front position. I have never tried putting the selector in the front position but I will try that to see if it unlocks the rear shaft. I have no mid mount or front mount accessories so have had no need to change the PTO selector position. The knob is missing so if changing the selector enables the PTO shaft to freewheel I will have to order a knob.

I park this mower in the same spot on bare dirt and nothing grows underneath. I park my brush mower on blocks and may start doing that with my finish mower but only because I have to put sticks under the lift arms to connect and disconnect using my quick hitch. Turning any mower by the shaft is not easy, especially a finish mower.

One other thing I did but didn't mention was I sanded and lubricated the plastic safety sleeve as was suggested. It was binding a bit but wasn't the reason I couldn't get the spline to align. I used aerosol silicone lubricant on that.

I don't know if the shaft got a burr I was overlooking or I just wan't holding my mouth right. What i know is it wasn't going on after many attempts and slid right on after modifying the male shaft splines. I think the best improvement was cleaning up the male spline and adding a little bevel to the edges.

To those with slide collar locks I know what you are saying on those also. I have an extension shaft I use with my brush mower that has that type of lock. I have to install it before I back up to the mower. On that I can put my knee against it and push forward while sliding the collar back. I can't imaging fighting with that on the end of a shaft.

/ PTO connect battle #37  
My Hesston 4550 baler PTO shaft is a real bear to handle. Its big and heavy. The last time I set it up I got the unit attached to the draw bar and then put a short 2x8 across the 3pt lift arms and used them to hold it up at the right elevation. Made putting it together much easier. I then position the lift arms at max height to not interfere with baling.

/ PTO connect battle #38  
You don't know what you don't know! (- by definition!) .....but there's also things that I know I don't know.

Other than the bungee shaft from top link for support trick, I also find it easier to raise implement to the height where the shaft slides straight on.
That way you're not trying to slide the shaft while trying to maintain the correct angle/alignment of the yoke with the pto shaft.

...and this position is (usually) where the shaft is telescoped to it's shortest position; so if it can telescope short enough to clear the end of the tractor's spline shaft in this position and then slide/extend on, you know you have some wiggle room and it won't "bottom out" the telescoping shaft and wreck your tractor's pto shaft bearings or casting.

/ PTO connect battle #39  
you can also use a pipe wrench to rotate the mower pto shaft slowly and slightly.

/ PTO connect battle #40  
........................................................................................
...and this position is (usually) where the shaft is telescoped to it's shortest position; so if it can telescope short enough to clear the end of the tractor's spline shaft in this position and then slide/extend on, you know you have some wiggle room and it won't "bottom out" the telescoping shaft and wreck your tractor's pto shaft bearings or casting.
Excellent point and simple check! Particularly if hooking up rental equipment or a new implement purchase for the first time. ;)