??? Belly mower or finish mower

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #11  
you can get a nice new zero turn for 3500. A MMM mower for a kubota can run nearly that - for JUST the deck.

A ZT will cut nicer, faster and is more fun. not the best choice on some hills. but cub cadet makes ZTs with steering wheels for such applications.

Tractor belly mower - if it's a hydrostatic, fine. geared..sucks for mowing, will take you a lot longer (30% or more epending on your yard) Went from a sears geared to snapper hst to zero turn at the house, and the farm used an MTD hst then a kubota L175 with woods L59 deck (geared).

Rear mower - much easier to get on/off than belly mower, BUT mowing next to things (fences, buildings, etc) is difficult as the deck is BEHIND you - you have to turn to see it so you don't hit the fence, but then you're not looking ahead. a mirror can help. I have a brush hog and mow along fence lines...sucks.

Don't buy a zero turn with sealed RZT pumps, they won't hold up, get one with at least # 2800 Hydro-Gear pumps with spin on oil filters that can serviced.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #12  
   / ??? Belly mower or finish mower #13  
Another consideration, is usage conditions, so to speak.

I mow about 2 acres, it's maybe 50 hours a year. My zero turn has 115 hours and going int' it's 3rd summer. Half my hard is smooth, half a mess - previous owner farmed it at one time, had it brush hogged - so ti's an acre of field. Hard on a mower.

I got 2 years out of a craftsman 'tractor' (their low end line). Then I was welding parts on it every other mowing...
Went to a snapper, other than a frame weld at about 6 years it was great.
After 13 years moved up to a toro zero turn. LOVE IT. No issues so far.

HOWever, my girlfriend has a horse farm and wears 'tractors' out like nobody's business. Spindles, belts, blades, wheel bearings...She says it's about 2 acres to mow - but much of that is around the fences (two passes inside and outside). Taking hay out to the horses, pulling a trailer of this and that. Nothing too hard - just a LOT of use.

SO - if you're gonna mow 3 plus acres weekly get a 'good' mower - not something from a big box store.

My toro ZT is one step below the 'changeable fluid' HST - a gamble, but the snapper went 13 years with no issues. I use it, but do not abuse it. If I had 50% more to mow I'd likely have gone up a step.

A used low hour pro model would be a consideration perhaps. Much more beefy and built for 30-40 hours a week, not a year.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #14  
I have a rear mount 60 inch finish mower for my BX Kubota.....it replaced a Husky garden tractor mower. I love the rear mount and you get used to the length of unit and get good at cutting close to fences etc. (I even leave the tractor bucket on , just lift it up when needed ) The bigger question for you is do you have jobs for a small SCut tractor.....if you do and you enjoy getting a few attachments for tractor so you can be more self reliant. (maybe woodchipper, or rototiller etc.) then if you are of that mindset, then focus on a tractor. After that you decide if Mid mount or rear mower. I didn't like idea of it hanging underneath when I was digging or working in rough areas . So rear mower works for me five minutes to take off and leave in garage for two weeks while grass grows and I use tractor for something else .

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower
I have a rear mount 60 inch finish mower for my BX Kubota.....it replaced a Husky garden tractor mower. I love the rear mount and you get used to the length of unit and get good at cutting close to fences etc. (I even leave the tractor bucket on , just lift it up when needed ) The bigger question for you is do you have jobs for a small SCut tractor.....if you do and you enjoy getting a few attachments for tractor so you can be more self reliant. (maybe woodchipper, or rototiller etc.) then if you are of that mindset, then focus on a tractor. After that you decide if Mid mount or rear mower. I didn't like idea of it hanging underneath when I was digging or working in rough areas . So rear mower works for me five minutes to take off and leave in garage for two weeks while grass grows and I use tractor for something else .
I plan on getting a little tractor. I just don't want to buy some foreign made piece of crap like a mf. Some of this foreign made stuff guys are having trouble getting parts for. I'm going to take my chances with a deere this time. All these little tractors are foreign made any more. I kept all my implements, so I should be good to go. I don't have a belly mower or finish mower. I do have a cub cadet zero turn. But, a tractor is definitely a piece of the puzzle in my retirement.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #16  
I plan on getting a little tractor. I just don't want to buy some foreign made piece of crap like a mf. Some of this foreign made stuff guys are having trouble getting parts for. I'm going to take my chances with a deere this time. All these little tractors are foreign made any more.

Well said.

:confused:

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower
I appreciate all the feedback including the video. I think I'm going to use my brush hog when I need it, and buy a belly mower when I pick up the new tractor. Thanks guys!!!

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #19  
A finish mower has a gear box that then uses a belt to turn multiple spindles. A brush hog has a gear box that directly drives a blade bar or blade pan to which the blades are attached. There's no belt with the brush hog. If you get into overgrown thick grass or any brush with a finish mower, you can smoke the belts (i.e., cause the belts to slip, which glazes them and makes them slick).

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #20  
Phillip, I've had a JD 3320 with a belly mower and front end loader (FEL) for a while now. In my view the benefit of the belly mower is the maneuverability - ability to turn tighter corners and get close to objects (edging) with more accuracy. The only real concern I've had is (1) the risk of catching the getting the tractor stuck via the belly mower if the wheels sink into mud or deep snow, and (2) the trouble of removing/installing the belly mower before/after winter (I use a rear blade and the FEL to clear snow).

I also like that I can keep the belly mower on while still moving trailers using a three point hitch trailer hitch attachment (from Northern Tool) and pulling our ground-driven manure spreader. I am careful to keep the hitch as low as possible and move slowly.

Though I've not used a rear finish mower I suspect that it would be similar to the pull behind mower I use with my ATV on a different property I own. It requires broad turns (very inaccurate) and I have to steer wide of objects - especially buildings or other objects that can be damaged if rubbed up against.