??? Belly mower or finish mower

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #1  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I'm pretty much retired and down sizing. Not bad, it has been a heck of a push to get where I'm at at my age. Anyway, I sold the far, a nice 7 digit figure, and I am buying a small acreage with a house.(a tinker plot more or less). My question is with is the best way to go??? A belly mower or a pull behind finish mower? Any thoughts,ideas,suggestions? What are is the pro and con of each ??? I've never been around either one.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #2  
Since you’re not broke neither and buy a zero turn mower. Then buy a tractor if you still need one.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #3  
How do you define "small"?
A belly mower or ZTR requires much less space for turning and maneuvering than a pull behind.
I learned the hard way that having a pull behind means when the tractor turns, that 7 feet of stuff behind it swings way out and is liable to take out
your wife's prized rosebushes.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #4  
I have used both, I bought an L185 Kubota with a 5' Woods belly finish mower 23 yrs ago. Just like cutting with a big riding lawnmower, I use it now in rougher areas that I only cut about once every 2 or 3 weeks, since I cut about 8 or more acres. 5 years ago I bought a Yanmar YM1700 that had a 5' finish mower with it, did not like cutting with it going around trees and bushes etc. Last year I sold the pull behind mower and bought a Husqvarner MZ52 zero turn mower. I cut my mowing time to less than half with addition of the zero turn. Now I use the Yanmar for bush hogging and planting food plots, before I got the Yanmar I removed the belly mower from the Kubota and used it for the food plots.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower
Since you’re not broke neither and buy a zero turn mower. Then buy a tractor if you still need one.
I have a cub cadet zero turn mower. I plan on buying a new little John Deere tractor. I have a five foot brush hog that I saved. But, what is the fundamental difference between a brush hog and a finish mower???

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #6  
you can get a nice new zero turn for 3500. A MMM mower for a kubota can run nearly that - for JUST the deck.

A ZT will cut nicer, faster and is more fun. not the best choice on some hills. but cub cadet makes ZTs with steering wheels for such applications.

Tractor belly mower - if it's a hydrostatic, fine. geared..sucks for mowing, will take you a lot longer (30% or more epending on your yard) Went from a sears geared to snapper hst to zero turn at the house, and the farm used an MTD hst then a kubota L175 with woods L59 deck (geared).

Rear mower - much easier to get on/off than belly mower, BUT mowing next to things (fences, buildings, etc) is difficult as the deck is BEHIND you - you have to turn to see it so you don't hit the fence, but then you're not looking ahead. a mirror can help. I have a brush hog and mow along fence lines...sucks.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower
How do you define "small"?
A belly mower or ZTR requires much less space for turning and maneuvering than a pull behind.
I learned the hard way that having a pull behind means when the tractor turns, that 7 feet of stuff behind it swings way out and is liable to take out
your wife's prized rosebushes.
The property is about 3 1/2 acres.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #8  
I have a cub cadet zero turn mower. I plan on buying a new little John Deere tractor. I have a five foot brush hog that I saved. But, what is the fundamental difference between a brush hog and a finish mower???

That wasn’t the original question. A bush has is a heavier built unit to cut tall grass and light brush. It doesn’t do a very good job on lawn mowing. A finish mower is essentially a mower deck on gage wheels. It has similar capabilities as your riding mower and probably does an equivalent grade cut.

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #9  
Get decent riding mower, I have 5 acres and a MF GC 1715 and have found for small acreage ( I have about 3 acres mowable) I should have not talked myself into the tractor, a new (simple) $2000 to $2500 48 inch rider mower would have been sufficient... There is nothing wrong with tractor, it's a good subcompact, its just to big for small acreage, and too expensive to outfit... $12,500 for tractor another $1000-$1500 for mower then there is all the other things you have to have to make tractor useable... Quite frankly I was pretty happy with chain saw, shovel, rake, and small $99 trailer behind riding mower... IF you really "need a tractor" go for it, but I think a riding mower is big enough for you acerage...

Dale

/ ??? Belly mower or finish mower #10  
It's going to be personal preference. I had a 50" Craftsman zero turn that threw dust and dirt out the front. I even made a dam out of lawn edging but was still subjected to more dust and dirt than I wanted. Sold it last year and bought a finish mower that I am very pleased with.

The difference between a brush and finish mower is obvious. A finish mower is built much like any LAWN mower except a little heavier. You can use it on ground that is less even but it is not intended for rough areas with wood or heavy brush.