Injector pump solenoid problems

/ Injector pump solenoid problems #1  

DKinWA

Silver Member
I'm waiting for my shop manuals to arrive, but this has me stumped. I've got a TC40 with about 300 hours and I'm not getting power to the fuel pump solenoid. I've checked the fuses (for the pump circuit) with an ohm meter and they check out fine. I can run a positive wire from the starter (it's handy) and the solenoid cycles and the tractor starts right up. Shut the key off and pull the wire off the terminal and the tractor shuts right off. I'm stumped /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif without the manuals. Any ideas from the TBN trust?? Any help is accepted and greatly appreciated!

I don't have a wiring diagram, but I'm wondering if theres a fusible link that blew somewhere. Obviously this means I have other issues, but I'm a ship in the fog right now /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Thanks

/ Injector pump solenoid problems #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Shut the key off and pull the wire off the terminal and the tractor shuts right off. )</font>

If you pull the jumper wire off the terminal but leave the key on does it continue to run or shut off?

/ Injector pump solenoid problems
I had to run outside and see since I forgot /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif When I pull the jumper wire the engine dies right away. I'm pretty much stumped without the manuals, so I appreciate any help anyones willing to offer. Thanks

/ Injector pump solenoid problems #4  
Well.......you have established that the solenoid is not the problem and that the fuse isn't the problem. The problem is power to the solenoid. The next step is to trace the wire from the solenoid back to determine where the power is stopped. That may not be easy without the wiring diagram. I am assuming that the wire disappears into a group of wires and you are not sure if it comes straight from the ignition switch or if it comes from another component such as the starter solenoid.

Without a wiring diagram, I don't know as well. You could disconnect the battery, hook one wire from your tester to the wire at the solenoid and start checking for continuity to determine where exactly that wire is connected on the other end. Then reconnect the battery, turn on the switch and check that component for voltage.

/ Injector pump solenoid problems #5  
I'm not sure about your TC, but my Dodge Cummins has a relay that operates the solenoid and this is probably your trouble. On the Dodges it is common for them to go out.
Michael

/ Injector pump solenoid problems #6  
Did you check the wires going into the connector at the solenoid? (or any connector in the wiring path) My only experience is recent. The fuel shut off solenoid on my JD 755 was kicking out during operation. I found a wire broken where it enters the back of the connector shell. It took 16 years to break but it finally did.

Jeff

/ Injector pump solenoid problems
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am assuming that the wire disappears into a group of wires and you are not sure if it comes straight from the ignition switch or if it comes from another component such as the starter solenoid. )</font>

Yep, right on the money! The relay thought ran through my head and so did a broken wire, but I hate to tear into things without a little more diagnosing first. I was sitting here reading everyones ideas and a thought popped into my head /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif "the dealer has diagrams and I have a fax machine......hmm". I'm going to call first thing in the morning and see if they'd fax me the drawings. They've been good to me in the past, so I can't imagine they'd turn me down.

I'll let ya all know how the saga continues later and thanks again for everyone's help.

/ Injector pump solenoid problems #8  
Have you considered running a manually controlled cable to the solenoid. Bypass all the electrical search and also have a sorta unauthorized operation device built in.

With the Dodge Cumins some people have done this.

Egon