Yellow Jackets

/ Yellow Jackets #21  
The best way is to watch for them and listen. I was able to hear these nest about 20’ away when walking.

Some of the nests will flood during the summer rains. Had one very large nest that did, and one that didn’t. A couple of buckets of dirt finished that one off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Picture of one of the nests

/ Yellow Jackets #22  
Gary in Geneva,

I found many useful links from your web page. Have lots of fun.

/ Yellow Jackets #23  
i posted on this very subject about 2 weeks ago(can;t remember where tho /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) anyhow the jist of it is , i have been bit many time before, but on july 4 i got bit by a hornet and had a most violent reaction, the wife had to call 911 as i really had a problem. spent 6 hrs in hospital. the point i am trying to make is even if you never had a violent reaction before, if u feel strange get help!!!!!.

/ Yellow Jackets #24  
I dug into my first nest of them here in Va. Had them in ground and around back door in NJ and in ground in LA.

Should have known better than to dig into the ground where there was a hole. They really flew out. For some reason, they ignored all my exposed skin. Two buried themselves into the tops of a sock at the top of my boots.

My solution in NJ and LA was to pour kerosene down the hole at dusk and light it. Don't need to light it, as some pointed out.

Did it on this one twice now. Still some coming to it. May have to treat it again.

Ralph

/ Yellow Jackets #25  
One thing to remeber about these beasts is that if you swat and kill one it will release a fear pheremone that will attract every yellow jacket within a 15 to 20 foot radius. Best to leave them alone until night when you can do the whole nest. But of course there's no defense from acidentally disturbing a nest.

Kevin

/ Yellow Jackets #26  
I wouldn't recommend lighting gasoline that's been poured into an in-ground nest. The result can be quite explosive. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I like to avoid all toxics as well (sensitivity). I've been using a heavy mix of Dawn dish detergent in water. A gallon in the hole after hours settles it!

I've also used said mixture in spray/mist bottles to neutralize paper wasp nests (the small ones under my deck rail) and their inhabitants. I've even had to spray fliers, with very good results. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

duke.

/ Yellow Jackets #27  
After reading this post earlier in the day, my wife reeled the garden hose inside the box. She needed some help, when I opened the lid I found a mass of Yelowjackets inside. My first instinct was to reach in and grab the hose but after reading all the stinging stories today, I got in my car, drove to Ace hardware and got some spray. After dark I lit em up without a problem. Thanks for saving me some pain!!!!

Curt

/ Yellow Jackets #28  
Thanks for the heads up , Yesterday I wanted to clean up an area of light brush with the FEL , pushed a couple of old hay bales deeper back in to the brush and then stopped and went to talk with a friend that stopped by. Went back to the machine and found the front end a mass of very very PO"d yellowjackets /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, to bad I was not there for them to sting , or to make another pass /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I just backed the machine away and left them /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. Later I drive the truck over the area and finished off crushing the nest . They are still there and maybe rebulding . I will get a better target and finish wiping them out after the rain .
Bill g.

/ Yellow Jackets #29  
I just found a small nest of them while cutting some ceder fence posts this morning.

Unfortunately, they got me 3 times before I could get outta there... then I had to go back in to retrieve the saw.

Luckily my doggy was there and distracted them for a few seconds, enough for me and her to slip in, grab the saw, and get the heck out without being stung.

Going tonight to finish up cutting the posts.

/ Yellow Jackets #30  
Go back in there after dark and give them paybacks. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif