Yellow Jackets

/ Yellow Jackets #31  
I had a few fly into my full helmet while I was riding my motorcycle with the face shield up....They got me bad before i could slow down and get off the bike....I had to mush one right on my face, and rip the helmet off and get the other little bastard...talk about being too vunerable...it ruined the ride for the day, it hurt...I laugh about it now with the passenger (my wife) but i wasnt laughing then /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Duc

/ Yellow Jackets #32  
What I hate is hitting a bumble bee at 60 MPH on a motorcycle...

They don't have time to sting, but the sheer weight of them packs enough wallop to leave a bruise.

Anyhoos, got my revenge last night on the offending yellow jackets. Took my lil red LED headlamp to go in "stealth mode" and poured bout a gallon of gas into their nest followed by a lit match.

No survivers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Yellow Jackets #33  
The kids have gotten attacked several times and we have found that meat tenderizer works the best in taking the pain and swelling away. We keep a supply on hand in the first aid kit both at home and in the car. Make a paste with the meat tenderizer and put it on the sting, works rear fast and reduces the swelling significantly. I had one fly into the car while driving and stung my daughter, 2 years old at the time while sitting in the car seat. We were happy we had the meat tenderizer in the kit that day. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Yellow Jackets #34  
NY FAN:

yep tenderizer works, well, as does baking soda. I was bit by a spider, yesterday. small nasty looking sucker but he suffered the rath of the splat. it was in my boot toung (walking around picking up small sticks along woods side edge.) got back to house sat down and the sucker got me. I forgot about the tenderizer and grabbed first thinng handy, which was "fruit fresh" and made quick past, not even a mark left after about 30 min (we had been picking balck berries all month and canning them so it was handy.) used a bit of rubbing alchol to make the paste. a sweat bee landed right in the paste on my hand but he didn't last long with the alcohol!

Mark m /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Yellow Jackets #35  
Yep - a gallon otta do it (for about 10 nests /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

Makes a good 'whoooomp' when it goes off. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Yellow Jackets #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What I hate is hitting a bumble bee at 60 MPH on a motorcycle...

They don't have time to sting, but the sheer weight of them packs enough wallop to leave a bruise.

)</font>
Anyone ever run into a bumble bees nest?
Where do they build their nest?
What do the nest look like?

/ Yellow Jackets #37  
Saw a bumble bee nest when I was mowing this summer - fortunately before I ran over it. It was a small hole in the ground with many many bumble bees going in and out. It was in my field and I put a small flag up about 5' from it (becuse I didn't want to get any closer) so I would be able to steer clear when the grass got tall...

/ Yellow Jackets #38  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> They don't have time to sting </font> )</font>

As long as they don't go up your pants leg.

/ Yellow Jackets #39  
Ran into my 4th yellowjacket nest this morning. Had to suit up with a make-shift bee suit to recue my Gravely, which I left running there (and just filled the tank yesterday).

One of the recommended solutions by Virginia Tech is Sevin dust around the hole area. I have some and will try it on this nest. The wasp & yellowjacket foam spray didn't work worth a darn to discourage them this morning. This was spraying from a distance.

Kerosene didn't work on a big nest of them that a skunk or bear dug out. It did work on 2 smaller holes. Don't have to light it.

Ralph

/ Yellow Jackets
Did they get you, Ralph?