Where's your favorite place to do it?

/ Where's your favorite place to do it? #1  

Jackrabbit_Slim

Silver Member
Tractor
B2710
Where\'s your favorite place to do it?

Which part(s) of your tractor do you like to use as tie down points when your tractor is on a trailer? I'm legally required to use 5/16 Grade 7 chain and binders where I live. A four point tie down is mandatory with one chain on the front and one on the back. I've been going through the loader frame and under the belly on my B2710 for my front end and it puts a bit of side pressure on the tires. Haven't had any problems yet. Would really like to avoid them if I can. Thoughts?

Slim

/ Where's your favorite place to do it? #2  
Re: Where\'s your favorite place to do it?

I assume you forgot a ) and mean Grade 70 transport chain. I chain my 2120 down with a long chain through the front weight bracket which has no weights installed. On the rear. I loop the chain over the rear axle and do the same. Here the DOT allows 2 continuous chains as long as they connect to the trailer in 4 points. If you require 4 separate chains, then just hook it to the machine in 4 points. Watch out for power steering stuff and other linkages.

Andy

/ Where's your favorite place to do it? #3  

I bolted these hooks on to run my chain through. That keeps the front end front getting scratched. For the rear I put a clevis through the drawbar and run a chain through it. See attached picture.

Attachments

• 469973-4330 Kubota hooks.JPG
    469973-4330 Kubota hooks.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 335
   / Where's your favorite place to do it? #4  

Ideally you should use four separate chains & binders or straps & ratchets. If you're concerned about scratches (I had to give up worrying about that on my Deere quite a while ago /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), you can use chain guards which slip over your chain and prevent metal to paint contact when your chain is over painted areas. AWDirect is a great place to look for things like that as is M & R Products.

When I'm securing something for a longer trip I secure all four points. I like to secure to axles best for a couple reasons. They're not going anywhere/not likely to break and by attaching to them you can compress your tires a bit, too. I try to have about a thirty degree angle on my chains/straps from the load to the attachment point and try to have 4"-6" of "kick out" (that being the distance from a point of the chain/strap being perpendicular to the axle outward to the attachment point on the bed. Another little trick I use is letting some air out of the tires on the loaded vehicle then securing it as tightly as I can with the binders/ratchets THEN re-inflating the tires. THAT really tightens everything down. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Where's your favorite place to do it? #5  

I use use 4 10000# ratchet straps around the axles. 2 front, and2 rear. The front ones run over the loader bucket and down to 2 D-rings. The rear straps are the kind with around 2 feet of chain at each end. These are hooked around the trailer frame at the end of the beavertail. I bind them down as tight as I can gat them. Also, I leave the tractor in 4 wheeldrive low range in reverse for just a little more assurance. Have never had a problem even in brake checks on the interstates. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trying to send photo with irfan, forgot how to do it tho /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Where's your favorite place to do it? #6  

I've used a large shackle with the bolt going through the hole in the draw bar at the rear. The chain runs thought the shackle from each corner of the trailer. At the front, I run the chain through the weight bracket.

Jeff