cedar trees

/ cedar trees #1  

tankeryanker

Tractor
ford 2n kubota l5030
OK I'm new with a front-end loader any body know any tricks on getting out cedar trees....

/ cedar trees #2  
Well, if you want to LOAD cedar trees, then you're in the right territory. Loaders are for loading, not removing cedar trees! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That said, it's very difficult to remove most trees unless you have a toothbar on your loader bucket. A loader bucket without teeth is almost useless for that kind of digging.
With a toothbar, you start out where the end of the trees canopy hangs over the ground, where the roots are not as thick. Dig in there moving toward the tree, all around the tree until you're broken all the roots. You can then attach a rope or chain to your drawbar and the tree and pull it down, or you may be able to push it over with the loader.
I wouldn't even attempt doing it anymore without a toothbar though. There's just not enough cut on the cutting edge to do much good digging. John

/ cedar trees #3  
How big is your tractor and how big are cedars? The small ones up to 3" can usually be scraped off at ground level. I take the 4-8" size and dig to cut roots on one side then, push high on tree away from cut to topple it. Next back off and push root ball to free remaing roots. Anything bigger will take digging all around. This is with a 7,000lb tractor though, if yours is bigger. might could take on bigger stuff and vice versa for smaller tractor Also I have sandy loam, clay will be more difficult.

/ cedar trees #4  
I have taken out a sack full of cedar with my 4200 deere, about 3000 lbs. Dig on one side and push up high bump it a little ta loosen it up a little and over it will go. My soil is mostly sand and a 10 in. thick cedar aint hard to remove at all. the biggest problem is the roots seam ta run just under the grass . pealing up alot more grass than you would like. If it snaps off than you get ta do alot of digging! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ cedar trees #5  
Have someone professionaly remove them so you dont mess up your tractor on such big trees(blowing hydraulic lines, tweaking loader arms, bent bucket). Look up tree spade in the phone book.

/ cedar trees #6  
I wish a loader bucket cut better. Others have posted about using a subsoiler to break roots. It is basically like a single boxblade scarifier. The shank (with tooth) is mounted on a 3PH frame.

As implements go, a subsoiler is not expensive. Once the root is broken, the loader bucket can be used (if necessary) to lift and loosen the root before toppling the tree.

OkieG

/ cedar trees #7  
Good idea; I somehow missed that post. Subsoilers are around 125$ or less at TSC here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ cedar trees #8  
I have 30 acres of sandy soil with lots of juniper (cedar) trees and yaupon. I purchased a Hy-Reach Tree Shear (www.precisionmfg.com) with my new Kubota L3130. I have only had the rig a week now so have not reaaly attacked the problem but the preliminary work looks promising. This unit attaches to my loader and can reach out and up. It will cut limbs and trunks up to 8" easily. Coupled with a grapple on my loader bucket, it makes fairly easy work of clearing brush and trees.

Vernon

/ cedar trees #9  
KITOIJOHN: pretty much says it all. how many trees do u want to remove? 1 or 2 trees you can mess around with, but if u have a lot then u might want to do it with a Bh.

/ cedar trees #10  
Interesting attachment. What does it cost?