Attachments for lawn care.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #1  

ikline

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7265
My lawn at my new house is starting to look pretty good. (expect for the weeds). Lawn has been established for about 4 months now and really filled in nice. My question is do you use a spreader or sprayer or both for the fertilizer and weed control. I have about 4.5 acres and about 3.5 will be a nice lawn that I will need to maintain. Any suggestions on attachments? (Do you roll your lawn every year, aerate, etc.) Also at my last property I only had about 3/4 acre and I used the Scotts 4 step program. It gave great results but that would be extremely expensive on 3.5 - 4.5 acres. Any suggestions. (I know I need a soil test, but just looking for alternatives). Thanks in advance.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #2  
I aereate right after a good rain every year. With the clay soil we have, it helps out quite a bit. Get the soil test and use it to identify exactly what you may need to add in terms of fertilizer. I was surprised at the results for our pasture, and the soil test will save me substantial bucks, in terms of applying exactly the right fertilizer mix.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #3  
I have a sprayer (6' boom) that I spray for weeds (2-4d) and have been experimenting with also including liquid fertilizer (no confirming results yet) at the same time. I mow 8 acres and find the weed spray takes about 2 hours spraying five 30-gal. tanks of spray every spring and usually every fall. I don't aerate but have picked up a 'spiker' (star shaped rotary 'wheels' that penetrate but do not take out a plug) that will also spread some seed in hopes to thicken some of the grass spots.
I have a couple broadcast fertilizer spreaders, but both have wheels placed too close together for the 'load' too high up, and are a bit tippy if moving along any kind of side hill. Thinking, if the liquid fertilizer program doesn't work, that I'll get a spreader with a wider wheel-base.

/ Attachments for lawn care.
I was told since I have dogs not to use 2-4D (something about cancer in dogs) Any one know of truth to that rumor.

/ Attachments for lawn care. #5  
It has been used for a really long time and is probably the most tested herbicide out there. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Common sense would be to keep the dogs inside while spraying (I always keep mine inside whenever I am tractoring) and for a few hours after.

/ Attachments for lawn care.
Thats what I was thinking. Just didn't want to take a chance with the pups. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Attachments for lawn care. #7  
You could always contact the manufacturer directly, either through e-mail or a phone call, and ask them.

That would be getting the info. straight from the horses......uh......dogs........er.........oh, you know! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Attachments for lawn care. #8  
Ikline,

A roller works pretty well here. After one removes all the rocks, the soil is pretty soft.

Anyone: I'm curious- where is a good place to get your soil tested? I've always just done trial and error, but as planting a new lawn myself, would like to do it right.

Thanks,

-JC

/ Attachments for lawn care. #9  
what is 2-4d? I have not heard of this before.