please explain "live continuous pto"

/ please explain "live continuous pto" #1  

aardvark

Gold Member
please explain \"live continuous pto\"

I read it in the Kubota B7610 spec sheet.

Does it mean the PTOs always run so long as the engine is running? Or does it mean something else?

Thanks

/ please explain "live continuous pto" #2  
Re: please explain \"live continuous pto\"

Jared

I copied this from Carver Equipment site.

Live = When operating the tractor, you may come to a neutral travel (no fwd/rev movement) position with the transmission, clutch, speed range shifter w/neutral and/or shuttle control – and >>>> the PTO keeps turning.

Not Live = the PTO does not keep turning when you stop traveling forward or reverse.

/ please explain "live continuous pto" #3  

I copyied this from Union Tractor's Web Site.

A live PTO, by definition, continues running when the operator changes speed or direction. Whether a live PTO is needed depends upon the work a tractor will do. Any stationary work (chippers, generators) does not need a live PTO. Large mowing operations where there is little backing up do not need a live PTO. Snowblowing, rototilling, and other applications where changes in speed and direction are important a live PTO makes the job easier.
There are several ways to make a live PTO work.

The first way is a two-stage clutch. In this case when the clutch is pushed halfway in the main transmission is disengaged. When the clutch is fully depressed the PTO and the main transmission are disengaged. The PTO cannot be engaged or disengaged unless the transmission is disengaged.

The second method is making a live PTO is through a separate clutch for the PTO (live independent). This method allows the PTO to be engaged and disengaged regardless of whether the tractor is moving or stationary.

The third method is live continuous. The main clutch disengages and engages the PTO. However, due to the transmission, the operator can change speed and direction with out using the clutch, i.e. Glide Shift or Hydrostatic transmission.

/ please explain "live continuous pto"

Thanks for the info. On Monday I'm going back to the Kubota dealer and getting more info on the 7610. I had originally planned on buying a BX23, but the 7610 is only slightly more, for a larger machine.

/ please explain "live continuous pto" #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I had originally planned on buying a BX23, but the 7610 is only slightly more, for a larger machine.)</font>

I made the same step up and am very glad I did.

/ please explain "live continuous pto"

Any comments on how well the 7610 has worked? I'm going to look at it again next week. Got a written quote on a JD 4110 today, but it's about $4k more than the 7610 was quoted to me verbally.