Battery Box for group 51 size?

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #1  

mhalla

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
<font color="green">Is anyone aware of a battery box made for group 51 size lead-acid batteries? I have had a minor acid issue with the battery in my John Deere 2210 and thought that a battery box might be a lower cost solution to my problem instead of spending more than $100 to buy an Optima sealed battery.

I see plenty of boxes for sale group 24 and other size batteries, usually for less than $10, but nothing has turned up during my search for a box that is sized for a group 51 battery.

I have never been comfortable with the thought of all that sulfuric acid sitting right in front of my radiator just waiting to be sucked up through the radiator fins and spewed all over the engine components in the event of a major release/leak of battery acid. Seems to me that putting the battery in a box would be a cheaper form of insurance than buying an Optima battery.

As it stands I am not too happy with even the minor damage that has resulted from a little acid coming from the vent caps. Can't imagine what it would be like to have major damage done to my tractor by a lot of battery acid.

Mike </font>

/ Battery Box for group 51 size?
<font color="green">Thanks Ron, not sure if any of those boxes will work with a group 51 battery since they do not explicitedly mention that size of battery. I'll have to get out a tape measure and check.

What I am concerned about is even if I find a box sized for a group 51 battery, the external dimensions might prevent me from using the box in the space available in my tractor.

Mike </font>

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #4  
A group 51 is about 5Wx9.25Lx9H
Could not find a box that small.....all were way too large or for lawn tractor size.

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #5  
<font color="blue"> 5Wx9.25Lx9H </font>
5" wide. I have not seen anything that narrow.

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #6  
Wanna see under the hood of my TC18?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thats an accurate set if dimensions or real close each way

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #7  
Not really. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I meant boxes that narrow. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #8  
oh OK..........That makes sense... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I took pictures tonight of my group 51 battery that shows it only 5" wide...... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I guess there's no need to post them now

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #9  
Why not post the pictures? Someone may have an idea for a box that will fit.

/ Battery Box for group 51 size? #10  
Mike,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As it stands I am not too happy with even the minor damage that has resulted from a little acid coming from the vent caps. Can't imagine what it would be like to have major damage done to my tractor by a lot of battery acid.
)</font>

Have you shared this with your dealer?

In October, 2002, Deere replaced the battery, all holddown hardware, and the oil cooler on my 4300 at no charge due to a design issue with the original battery. To date I have not seen any evidence of leakage or corrosion with the new battery.