Grading Tips for grading driveway?

/ Tips for grading driveway? #1  

KC_Kubota

Tractor
Kubota B7510
Any tips on grading a driveway? I've only done it once and to be honest, I did a lousy job. The driveway is dirt, only a couple hundred feet long. on a hill (not very steep).

I have a Kubota B7510 with a front blade.

Thank,
KC

/ Tips for grading driveway? #2  
If you have tilt and angle on your blade, make the leading edge forward, and set its side to side angle accordingly if there is a crown.. or you are making a crown.

Soundguy

/ Tips for grading driveway? #3  
Do you want to add gravel to it or just smooth out the dirt? I'd recommend a drag harrow to loosen the soil up then maybe the blade. You need to work up the driveway some or else bring soil in and then use the blade to even the soil out

/ Tips for grading driveway?
Thanks for the replies. My blade only goes side to side / up and down. On my ride into work today I saw someone grading a road and I could see the angle you’re talking about… but mine won’t do that. I don’t plan on adding gravel… I was thinking about having a load or two of dirt added, I just want to smooth it out.

Thanks again,
KC

/ Tips for grading driveway? #5  
Smoothing it out will be real tough without something (blade or drag or beam) that has an angle to it. That is about the only way to get the 'washboard' effect out of a driveway. IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tips for grading driveway? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Smoothing it out will be real tough without something (blade or drag or beam) that has an angle to it. That is about the only way to get the 'washboard' effect out of a driveway. IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )</font>

Yup, absolutely.

--->Paul

/ Tips for grading driveway?
I have this front blade. So is this not the right impliment to grade my driveway? If not what exactly do I need? if it is... what's the right method?

Thanks to everyone for replying.
KC

/ Tips for grading driveway? #8  
KC,

I'm in the same predicament as you except my driveway is way steep. I use a rear blade (heavy duty model) and still get washboarding. I set my crown angle by adjusting the one side of the 3 point up and down.

Anyway one of the locals with much more experience than myself suggested I use a york rake with wheels. He said backblading is an art and takes patience....I think he's right. The first time I used it my driveway looked like a crash site!

I'm gonna try the york in a couple of weeks and will report back.

Good Luck!

/ Tips for grading driveway? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So is this not the right impliment to grade my driveway? If not what exactly do I need? )</font>

Your best results on a dirt driveway likely will come with a box scraper, a.k.a. box blade. The scarifiers will loosen the hard surface, the blade will scrape excess material from the high spots, and the box will carry it and leave it in the low spots.

/ Tips for grading driveway? #10  
I'd appreciate expanding these tips to include gravel drives, as I am about to have to redo my 1600' drive as my home is nearing completion and after the concrete, lumber and brick packages were delivered, it is a mess.

I hired someone with a dozer to cut it in and had a base of #2 and #3 limestone gravel put in before construction began. Now I need to grade it again as it is humped up in the middle something awful, and put a layer of dense grade limestone (with or without the dust?) on top.

Anyone know the best way to grade and pack this using a CUT, or should it be hired out again (ouch!)?