Why no front brakes on tractors

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #1  

slowrev

Elite Member
Tractor
IH 2444
Just one of the things I have always wondered about. Why don't tractors have front brakes ? Especially on the 4WD ones. They could even be selectable, on or off. It seems like it sure would be handy on the downslopes with a heavy load behind you.

Just wondering and don't recall this subject coming up before. Probably a good reason that I have not thought of....

Ben

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #2  
good question, at one time, any brakes on a tractor was a luxury. but now, 4wheel brakes wouldn't be that hard to do, unless you wanted to use them to steer.

i was running a 6320( i think that's the #) JD the other day, and it had eletronic 4wd that would put the tractor in 4x4 when you braked with the lock bar engaging both peddles. this effectively gave you front brakes, by useing the driveline, and the rear brakes

/ Why no front brakes on tractors
If you wanted to brake steer you could have a dash mounted valve you could operate to disable the front brakes......

My FIL has an old Avery it has a hand brake lever on each side for each brake. I am sort of dangerous on that thing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ben

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #4  
Tractors started out as farm pullers dontcha know, and the front wheels are mostly decoration. With a heavy load (pulling, or mounted on the rear) all the weight is on the rear axle. Front wheels would not do much. Even for turning, the brake is far more effective than the front wheels. I never have my brakes locked together on the big boys. It is instinctive for me to drag a brake pedal when turning.

Now, the way folks use the little compacts, probably would have some use.

--->Paul

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #5  
I don't lock mine either unless I am on the road. Just a habit from driving big farm tractors. I don't know why you would need 4 brakes. They don't go fast enough I don't think. My 200 has, er had brakes, but they don't work very well. You have to think ahead. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #6  
Probably a carryover from the old days when they would have been hard to implement. Lots of different brake mechanisms.. and all mostly manual foot pedal.. some hand lever. HYD brakes were on very few tractors. Some tractors brakes were as simple as a metal band lined with friction material, wrapped around the drum/axle, and applied by lever action of the brake pedal pulling the flexible 'shoe' up and around the drum tight.. Mi IH cub is like that..

Like the others pointed out.. lots of front tires were either smooth steel, or very narrow to ride furrows or to to help turn in soft dirt. Not much a front wheel on smooth steel or with a single rib is going to do.. even with brakes locked.

Also as pointed out.. front ends get light and don't count for much anyway. Hi drag loads usually required rear side to side brakes for steering.

If you had 4wd.. you could lower the throttle and have 'compresion' breaking.

New HST tractors also effectively don't really need to worry about it either.

Soundguy

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #7  
My brakes work up front!!!

The brakes aren't on the wheels, like a car, but are in the transmission. When 4WD is engaged, the braking is also applied to the front. When the power is off on my tractor, it locks into 4WD, and all receive braking.

Now, I THOUGHT all of them worked (mostly) like this....

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why don't tractors have front brakes ? )</font>

I don't guess I know any more than what the other guys have already said, except:

1) tractors run slower than most other vehicles, rarely if ever need front brakes,
2) as already stated, with 4WD engaged that effectively provides front braking, and
3) be careful what you ask for; the manufacturers might provide it, and of course that would raise the price we have to pay for tractors. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #9  
I think this idea has merit. I don't know how many times I've read of someone going down a hill with a FEL bucket load of dirt and ending up going a little faster than they planned. Especially true if you have a 2wd.

/ Why no front brakes on tractors #10  
Same here - when I apply the brakes and the the pedals are locked together, the transmission automatically goes into 4wd.