Oil & Fuel Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #1  

Gatorboy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M8950, Bobcat 873 SSL & Kubota ZD-331
I have spent hours trying to get my tractor to start. Last month I ran pretty low on fuel, and sucked some dirt or something from the tank and it was starving for fuel. I didn't have a new fuel filter at the time, so I just removed the old one, cleaned it out -- filled the tank and then bled the lines, and it started up fine. I have bled the fuel lines a number of times, and am confident in being able to have success rather quickly.

Well, I got my new fuel filter and replaced it -- but now I can't get my tractor to start. I have got all the air out from the filter down to the injector pump, but when I am cranking it over to get the air out from the pump up to the injectors, nothing is happening. Actually I am hearing a puff of air down around the injector pump area as it is turning over. I think there is a small pinhole someplace that is sucking in air. I am now at a loss of what to do to try and locate this leak.

I have pumped the manual fuel pump a thousand times and can't seem to see any fuel leaking any place, unless it's happening out of my eye shot. Does anyone have any other "tricks" I might want to try to find a possible leak?

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #2  
If the problem started right after you changed the fuel filter, I would take a second look in that area.

When I changed my fuel filter I did not notice that I had to move a thin O-ring from the old one to the new one. The new filter did not come with a new O-ring.

Anyway, just a thought to get the thread started, if no one beat me to the first reply... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #3  
I've run my battery down several times bleeding the air out..

My checklist..

1.) Tank Full
2.) Tank Cap Off
3.) Throttle on Full
4.) Is Gas Filter Cup Filling?
5.) Turn Filter On/Off Lever to diff. setting..
5.) UnScrew Bleeder More..

I tried & tried one evening.. ran out of diesal.. put in 5 gallons.. then I ran the battery down.. out comes the charger.. then it got dark outside.. had to hook up a light.. still nothing.. put in another 5 gallons.. started rainning.. finished feeding steers.. by the time I got back to the tractor.. the diesal was dripping out the bleeder on it's own.

No tricks.. sometimes it's just being stubborn.

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines
I'll remove the fuel filter and check all the O-rings -- this may or may not fix it. The puffs of air I hear are not coming from there, but it could be the cause.

I've been using jumper cables hooked up from my truck to the tractor -- my battery would be dead by now if I didn't do this. With my luck, my starter will be the next to go.

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #5  
Yep one of the few disadvantages of a diesel. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck.

Ben

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #6  
Dave,
You may have to crack the fittings on at a time on the lines going to the injectors. Some diesels require that to be do to get the air out. Loose one at a time while cranking and as fuel comes out without air, tighten it back down. Do each line this way.

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines
<font color="blue"> You may have to crack the fittings on at a time on the lines going to the injectors. </font>

I have those box nuts on the injectos loose. There isn't any fuel coming out of the the injector pump up to the injectors -- that is my problem. I used a meter to check the wire that feeds the solenoid to the fuel shutoff, and it has power ... but I'm almost thinking that the solenoid is bad, and this is why it's not pumping any fuel out.

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #8  
I wouldn't think that both things would have happened at the same time, but I have seen stranger things happen. Is there a way to manually over ride your solenoid?

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #9  
Might doublecheck the fuel shutoff valve as well. On more than one occasion I've seen them fail and 'appear' to be open but in reality closed.

Good luck.

Soundguy

/ Sucking air while bleeding fuel lines #10  
This is really grasping for straws...but...

Is there any chance the fuel flter had a clear plastic cover on it that you did not notice? Like something to keep dust and dirt of the element until installation time?

I know it's unlikely, but stranger things have happened... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif