Loader Quick Attach Worth It?

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #1  

Riddler

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN75VA, New Holland TC45DA, New Holland TC18
While my new TC45DA with 16LA loader sits poised for delivery to me (yes, it's killing me), I am supposed to decide whether to have my trusty dealer install the quick attach option to the loader, which will allow it accept standard skid steer attachments. Although I will have use for pallet forks on occasion, it will be rare enough that I can live with a standard pin on arrangement for the bucket and forks. Also, I am not keen on reducing my loader lift capacity, which I understand results from adding weight to the loader assembly and repositioning the quick attach bucket a few inches forward.

That said, I understand that having the skid steer adaptable quick attach makes it possible (at least theoretically) to rent or borrow skid steer implements. Although that would be a big plus for me if it enables me to use a hydraulic post hole digger, trencher or other loader attached implement without having to purchase it, I suspect that the only skid steer implements available to rent or borrow would require hydraulic flow or vehicle weight characteristics that the TC45DA does not have. For example, although the 45 has a maximum implement hydraulic capacity rating of approximately 10 gpm, I suspect that the real capacity at the loader bucket pivot is something less (e.g., 7-8 gpm). Even the smallest skid steers have capacities twice that of the CUT I am buying. Does that mean that almost none of the skid steer implements I could rent or borrow would even work on the 45 once it is equipped with the quick attach?

I suppose that if I need to replace the bucket or forks down the line, or if I develop a real need for more than one type of bucket, I will be glad I have the skid steer adaptable arrangement because I will have more sources to purchase from than NH (i.e., I suspect that only a very limited number of manufacturers, and possibly only NH, make pin on buckets and forks for the 16LA loader). Is that enough of an advantage to shell out the additional $800-$900 now for the adaptor plate and skid steer style bucket? What possible uses of the skid steer adaptable quick attach have I overlooked?

Finally, before anyone mentions it, pictures of the beauty in blue will be forthcoming any day now. Thanks.

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #2  
Other uses for QA loader...let me think...

If you have cattle...ya can't beat a front hay spear.

Last week I built a trailer mover...About $30...ya can push a trailer places ya wouldn't even think about backing one...and don't even have to get off the tractor to hook/unhook the trailer.

If ya have trees....a root rake/grapple makes cleanup a snap.

I want one of them "Tree Shears" real bad...are ya listening Santa?

You can get heavier forks with QA than ya can with clamp on...work well for root grubbin' as well as moving things around.

Ya can't use all the skid steer attachments...most as you noted are too heavy, or use too much hydraulics..but I'm sure there are at least a couple of others that I haven't listed...

Love my QA

GareyD

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #3  
Riddler it sounds to me like you already made your mind up. My QA use is split between my FEL bucket and pallet forks which I use quite a bit. If you won't be needing your pallet forks that much then save the $$$$ for some other use and pass on the QA. Besides you can always add the QA later without a big installation deal if you decide to do so.

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #4  
Your first observation is on the money. A skid steer is an industrial heavy duty design. Ag tractors are designed for a different market & price point. The ag pump is going to run hot (at least) trying to supply continuous demand of a skid steer attachment. You also need to consider what that rental was plugged into last... somebody else's disintegrating pump pieces may become yours!

Cheap insurance to rent a skid steer & attachment for a day.

Many skid steer attachments can be adapted to the 3 point or just buy a 3 pt attachment - you might find lower prices anyway on 3 pt stuff at auctions.

Tip: blow a hole at the end of one of your fork tips to drop a hitch ball through - makes for a quick trailer mover.

Happy tractoring!

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #5  
Get the skid steer type QD.

It is very easy to make attachment plates for the bobtatch design. Four strips of metal and a two notches cut with a torch. It is much easier than making precision bored holes with precise spacing and looging for the precision pins. It is also much safer for connecting attachments than wrestling with the no QD or traditional hooked FEL QD design.

I have it and never want to see a loader without it.

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #6  
Lets try the pic again

Attachments

• 511838-IMG_2343 SM.jpg
    511838-IMG_2343 SM.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 377
   / Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #7  
I have the Bobcat QA on my L3130 with the Woods 1016 loader. I keep hearing about reduced lift capacity but I haven't seen it myself. I recently lifted 2000lbs of block plus whatever the loader frame and QA weighs. I think the loader is rated at 1700lbs.

I didn't use the QA for the first year owning the tractor. Then the retaining wall project got started and bought the pallet forks. Lots of switching back and forth between moving block and back filling rock and dirt.

Also very handy for moving around pallets of firewood. Before the PF's the carry all was used. It now had boards on it to be used as an actuall carry all and the PF's are much easier. They also work great to lift up logs to cut with the chainsaw or moving other implements etc..

I'm building a 4x8 platform out of 2x2 box and expanded metal that will be used with the PF's for a multitude of things.

I would get it again in a heartbeat.

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #8  
<font color="blue"> Lets try the pic again </font>

For future reference, you can just click the
edit.gif
Edit link and correct your mistake without generating another post. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #9  
Has anyone else seen this..

I was working w/ a Dairy farmer who had a skidsteer.. we were raking old hay out of a big feeder turned on it's side.. and his bucket came off his QA.. the FEL was moving in a scrapping down motion. Wondering if this was just a onetime mishap.. or has anyone else seen this?

/ Loader Quick Attach Worth It? #10  
We had just reattached a hydraulic grapple to the front of another TBN members new TN-70DA and I jumped in to try the grapple myself. As I moved into a stump and bumped it hard the grapple came detached from one side of the QA. OUCH! Maybe we blew it attaching it (I hope)?

Whenever I attach my forks or bucket I raise the loader arms tilt the bucket or forks to the lower limit and shake the devil out of it so I am sure it has been attached correctly. I would much rather have it come apart at that point then after I have 1500-1900 pounds of pallet & goods high in the air. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I have never had mine come apart unexpectedly yet..........