Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

Default Re: Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks.

I'll pass on an easy trick that I've been using for 30+ years, first pull the dipstick and wipe it, then just dust a little talc powder (baby powder) on the end of the dip stick then re-insert it. The oil line will be clearly seen, even without glasses and the minute dust of powder won't hurt a thing. Try it! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

JRP
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800

ditto on khd's idea.

I use the back of my glove.

Pull and wipe.
    insert again to get a fresh reading.
    Pull and carefully lay on the glove, noting the full mark.
    Roll the dip stick and note where the glove is dark compared to the full mark.

This helps me especially on the clear transmission oil.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Anybody tried using a magnifying glass? <font color="purple"> </font>

Silver Member
    Tractor
    NH TC33D

One thing I've done is use a lighter on the DRY dip stick to darken the metal, makes oil easyer to see. Also a little sandpaper over the end helps hold a little larger oil film that is easyer to see.
    Now if I could just find a easier way to get better reading on all the other plastic dipsticks ...

Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

<font color="blue">"Now if I could just find a easier way to get better reading on all the other plastic dipsticks " </font>

<font color="black"> </font> Mike- Try the baby powder (see prior post) it works on plastic as well as metal.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mike- Try the baby powder (see prior post) it works on plastic as well as metal. )</font>
    I have to say that using baby powder or any type of powder over a period of time is going to cause some problems. Especially if you're using it in hydro fluid. It doesn't take much grit to ruin a hydraulic pump, and, yes, you're only introducing a little at a time, but who knows how much gets in the pump and starts the wearing grind?
    I rather like the idea of a good dark paint that will stay on the stick for a long time. Of course, use the wrong paint and you'll get that mixed in also.
    Just my opinion. John

Tractor
    MF 1240, JD 210C TLB

John- Yeah, I can understand your concern, however we're talking an extremely small wiff of baby powder, its not dirt, grit, or anything else abrasive. The amount required is so small it won't hurt a thing. Trust me on this as I've been doing it for a lot of years on a lot of different tractors. Its esspecially effective for clean hydro fluid on a shiny dipstick. It works so good you will be a believer if you try it just once [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

Take a center punch and put some dimples in it.

Tractor
    BX23, Hustler Mini Fastrak 42 w/mulch kit, Wheel Horse 14-38XL

If you have a Dollar Store nearby, pick up a pair of "cheater" glasses. They come in different power magnification so if you want, you can get a strong pair that act like a magnifying glass, or a weaker pair for reading. For $1 a pair I must have over a dozen of em in different strengths scattered everywhere [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Elite Member

I'm with you, Ken. I was just going to ask if these guys were wearing their reading glasses. I can't see anything without mine, and wouldn't even attempt to read a dipstick without them, but never had a problem with them. Of course, standard procedure is to remove the stick, wipe it clean, re-insert it and then read it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast