Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks.

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #1  

Charolais

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deutz Fahr Agrofarm 100, Stoll loader, bucket, forks & root grapple
OK, I'm over 50. Just a little. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm having a problem seeing oil levels on dipsticks and it isn't all me being old either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use synthetic oils in everything. Some of the newer dipsticks are pretty shiny and have to get the light just right to see the oil on the stick.

Just wondering if any of you folks have solved this problem. I tried some black dye and that lasted about a week. I tried a piece of heat shrink and it swelled in about two days and I removed it. Ground the round stick so it had a flat side and still can't see the oil all that well.

Y'all got any ideas? Please share. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #2  
Charolais;
Is it possible to drill a small hole in the stick? I don't know if your stick is round or flat. If it's round, how about black "krinkle" paint? My .02 cents.
SimS

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #3  
I've cleaned sticks.. painted them flat black, and then when I check the level.. I pull it out wipe it.. put it back in then remove to check it.

Soundguy

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #4  
You are not the only one having this problem. i also find that even when you can see the oil, it IS NOT a defenite line,high on one side low on the other, which is correct? for this prolem i find taking the stick out wiping it clean and let it remail out for a few min, then put it back in and check , seems to give a straighter line this way, of course this may only work on my tractor.

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #5  
I have resorted to taking a piece of paper and carefully placing the dipstick on the paper and observing where the oil penetrates the paper in relation to the dipstick. You can do it with paper towel, but plain paper works better.

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #6  
You're not the only one having this problem and it's not all your fault. It's amazing how many manufactures tip their dipsticks with either a yellow or brown piece of plastic that is impossible to read unless your oil is filthy dirty. I use the paper towel method. After pulling the dipstick, wiping it clean and pushing it back in, I remove it and place it on the paper towel I used to wipe it. That'll show the relative level of the oil. I've never used the plain paper method. I'll have to try it next time.

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #7  
I use the back of my leather work glove.....just like the paper trick...I do it twice in a row and if I get the same results I'm pretty sure where it's at.

Regards,
Kevin

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #8  
I take my dip sticks out and with a triangular file place cross hatch scores on the stick between the high and low marks. The oil tends to magnify the scores so that you can see the wetted portion easier. Somes times the oil is so clear this does not help much but it is the best I have come up with.

Vernon

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks.
Thank you all for your input. Looks like I have a few more things to try and maybe some combinations of several together. If I can find a paint that the Amsoil won't dissolve the black color sure will help. Thanks again.

/ Problem seeing oil level on some dipsticks. #10  
I think "SimS " haqs the right idea re: drilling small holes in the stick if possible.

Have a 406 in my Chevelle with a Chrome dip stick. Nothing stuck to it. Drilled a series of small holes at the Low, Medium and Full marks. When checking the oil the hole is filled with oil when stick is pulled out. Works great.