FEL grape picker

/ FEL grape picker #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
I found a new use for the FEL on my Cub 3275. We have a nice section of cultivated Concord grapes growing at the farm that my father in law planted years ago. Unfortunately they are out of reach and a ladder will not do as the vines are all thru a large apple tree and other small trees nearby. I decided to try using my FEL as a bucket for harvesting the grapes. I can only say that it works very well if you don't have a fear of heights and don't mind teetering on the edge of a bucket. I was able to reach almost all of the lower grapes and used the FEL to hold the grapes. My wife was real happy that I was able to pick these. I gave about 5 gallons worth to my mother to bring to her retirement home for the elders to enjoy. I think it is time to trim these vines way back and get them lower to the ground on stakes where they can be picked easily. Some of the vines are 30+ feet up and can't be reached.

/ FEL grape picker #2  
If it's a short and one time deal, balancing on a FEL to work is OK, However, there's lots of posts re. useful attachments (most homemade) for turning a FEL into a device for working on trees, homes (painting, repair) and the like. Mine cost about $25 in lumber, screws and galvanized bolts.

Attachments

• 514505-smallfelattach.jpg
    514505-smallfelattach.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 270
   / FEL grape picker #3  
That's a nice platform you have there. You even have a rail to attach your safety harness to /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've stood in the bucket before and didn't like it, not enough flat area to get a good stance. A platform such as yours would be nice for carrying stuff around, too, like a generator or something you didn't want to tip into the bucket.
Thanks for the idea!