Winter's coming - How do I prepare?

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #1  

dliston

Silver Member
McHenry, Illinois - Right up near Wisconsin
Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Winter\'s coming - How do I prepare?

I have read and understand that I should go over my tractor and prepare it for winter - grease everything, check all the fulids, fill up the fuel tank to prevent condensation, maybe even go out to the building and turn her over every couple of weeks and let her run for a bit to keep the battery charged.

I've also read about fuel additives and something called "Power Factor". Is this something to add for winter? What does it do - like adding "dry gas" to a gas engine's tank? Shoudl this be done during the summer months, too?

And what else have I forgotten? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The tractor is stored indoors and in a semi-heated area (about 50 degrees F)

Doug

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #2  
Re: Winter\'s coming - How do I prepare?

I think you pretty much have it covered, especially if the tractor is being stored in a heated garage and you are doing the obvious (like enough antifreeze, etc). Just a suggestion, I'd run it like you say but really warm things up and get the fluids hot. Running an engine for just a short time does harm, if it were me I'd drive it around and work the hydraulics enough to cook off any condensate once a month or so. Keeping the fuel tank full is a good idea, I add a diesel 'anti-gel' additive, like 'Mac's' just in case the machine gets real cold and you have to start it. Some tractors have a fuel tank drain or sump to drain condensate, I don't know though if your tractor has one of these.

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( something called "Power Factor" )</font>

Do you mean Power Service additive? Farmer/Rancher neighbors and I used it year round. As to whether it's needed or worth it, I can't really say.

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #4  

Winter's coming?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

In WNY it's here already. The heck with fall. Got a slushy inch Sunday am.

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #5  

It was in the mid teens (Celcius - high 50's, low 60's Farenheight) during the day here up to last Friday. Saturday morning we woke up to a couple of inches of full-on snow and it hasn't stopped since. Highs of just below freezing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This Friday it's supposed to be back up to +9 (~50F). There's a saying around here - if you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes, it'll change. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh well, maybe today I'll try out my new rear blade I just finished building ...

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #6  

Winter's coming!

Yea I am cold already /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Winter's coming!

Yea I am cold already /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font>

Hey chucko - and how cold is it in FL today? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wife is already asking when we're going to FL this winter.
No snow for us in W. PA yet, but we got some hail mixed in with the rain last Saturday.

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #8  

What's winter? What's snow? It is 91 degrees with a heat index of 98. I am still taking an afternoon nap to escape the heat.

Vernon

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare? #9  

If you add a cab and a snowblower for your 3PH and a plow blade for your FEL, you won't have to worry about storing it. You can use it year round. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Winter's coming - How do I prepare?

Yep - Power Service - that's it. I looked at their website - looks to do what I might need - do you get it at an auto parts place or where?

Doug