Different Trees - Different roots

/ Different Trees - Different roots #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I've dug up a goodly number of trees since I've had my BX-22. I am surprised at the difference in root systems from tree - tree. My worst/hardest trees have been sweetgums. When the gum tree is small, it is easy prey. When they get a little size, I've found that they have a tap root that I just cannot get to with my hoe. Attached is a relatively small gum tree, maybe 10" at the base. I've severed all the roots I can get to, but you can see a tap root that looks like an extension of the trunk that extends straight down.
After fretting with this little tree for tooooo long, I finally reached for the Stihl & took it off well below ground level [2nd post].
What I'm saying is that I expected oaks to be the toughest customers, but have not found that necessarily to be so.

Attachments

• 519506-PA160006 (2).JPG
    519506-PA160006 (2).JPG
    29 KB · Views: 647
   / Different Trees - Different roots
2nd picture

Attachments

• 519508-PA160010 (2).JPG
    519508-PA160010 (2).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 549
   / Different Trees - Different roots #3  
Tdog,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My worst/hardest trees have been sweetgums. When the gum tree is small, it is easy prey. When they get a little size, I've found that they have a tap root that I just cannot get to with my hoe. )</font>

I don't think that I've ever taken out a gum, but black walnut trees have a similar tap root. I've got lots of them and although a top will occasionally snap off in high wind, I have yet to see one uprooted.

/ Different Trees - Different roots #4  
In 1995 or 96 I went on state active duty with the National Guard after Hurricane Opal hit Alabama. I seen many large oak trees blown over in south Alabama. I was surprized to see that they just blew over and didn't break. The roots appear to have spread out from the tree just below ground level.
Then today I was pushing over some peach trees for my brother and noticed that they didn't have much of a root system at all.

/ Different Trees - Different roots #5  
Keep an eye on it. Gums are notorious resprouters. Cut one down and 4 will sprout from stump if left unattended. Even stray roots will sprout far away from trunk of dug up tree. Gums have amazing propensity for self preservation.

/ Different Trees - Different roots
You're right, MMM. I've noticed the same thing.

/ Different Trees - Different roots #7  
Wait until you encounter a hickory. They didn't call Andrew Jackson "Old Hickory" for nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TK

/ Different Trees - Different roots #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Keep an eye on it. Gums are notorious resprouters. )</font>

Painting the cut end with a mixture of Roundup and kerosene helps a lot.

/ Different Trees - Different roots #9  
Never recall having to deal with a gum tree but Elm trees have a very heavy root system as well. I've seen people dig for hours to get 1 stump out. (same driver, equipment and size stump could do cherry, maple or oak in 1/2 hour or less).

/ Different Trees - Different roots #10  
Hello Tdog,
Isn't it amasing what the BX22 can accomplish? I've been removing trees on my property here on Long Island, for the last two weeks. Although, L.I. is all sand and easy digging, the root balls on some of the oak trees are quite large. Attached are a few pictures of a stump I've been working on for the last two days. I used a 3 ton rachetting chain fall and the BX 22 to remove this stump. We finally won the battle! It came out today.

Attachments

• 520033-MVC-546S.JPG
    520033-MVC-546S.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 304