Tractor Specs Comparisons

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
In Bob Skurkas excellant thread on comparing the visibility of curved vs. boxy tractors and loaders, I made an ignorant comment about the strength of NH loaders. Seems I was crazy to be quoting the numbers which NH chose to use in their marketing, as it showed an significant disadvantage to them in reference to their competition. Of course, there were two yardsticks in play, and the loaders are very close in performance, when equal specs are in play.

Now that might seem like splitting hairs. But in my case, I dropped NH from my short list when I bought my current tractor, due to this very perception. I had even sddressed this with the NH dealer, and they also were convinced that the loader was significantly lower powered.

Now I really am pleased with my tractor, and in the end have no regret. Except that I think we should all be able to make the most informed desicions as possible. (And then get what we really want in spite of the facts /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

SO, what can we do?

Of course, the first thing is for shoppers to get informed. Trouble is, that is exactly what I thought I was doing. There are so many specs, and varying methods for reporting them, that it is a daunting task.

Manufacturers offer comparison charts. Of course, they are often wrong, but can still be valuable tools.

I am convinced that the best setup is to start with the compare feature at John Deere's site (hold on! I am not trying to sell a green tractor!) If you aren't familiar with Deere models, it maight take a bit, but you should be able to find out what matches your Orange or red machine fairly easily.

Once you choose some models to compare (that is one significant advantage over Kubotas compares (again I am not suggesting their tractors are inferior in any way!) as they lock you into comparing certain models, usually pitting theirs against the competitors lower displacement offerings (tsk! tsk!) When you build a chart there is an export to Excel option. that is the good part.

Because, Deere will also have missing or wron info on their own products (stupid!) let alone their competitors...

But with your handy chart, you can now go and find apples to apples specs and figure them out! You can even add pricing to the specs, so that you can even up the score (like Deere doesn't offer telescopic draft links as std., NH does, if you care, you can add the $210...)

And , more importantly, you can add the loader specs (since the manufacturers don't seem to realize that we are just buying the tractor as an accessory for the loader...) And make sure that wherever possible, we are comparing specs at the same points...

Even better, would be to build a new specs department at the worlds leading tractor website. (that would be TBN!!) That is a HUGE task, but maybe it could be done. I suggest having a comitee set up, with a member responsible for each brand. I know that I haver benefitted greatly from input of folks like _RaT_ and Bob Skurka (just to name two...) who have been careful to find really accurate comparisons.

Or maybe I should just shut up...

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #2  
So Mike are you telling us you are drooling over that Blue tractor you now wished you had?? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just messing with you.

You post is a very good post. Getting the right information is tough now days because there is so much information and manufactures have found ways to make theirs look better when it is not actually true. Example, one of the pick up manufactures claims their truck has the most standard power on the market today. Well standard power is the 6 cylinder or really small 8 cylinder. They advertise this and many people then think this manufacture has the most power. Not really, just in that smallest engine. So if you not buying that smallest engine it doesn't mean diddley. But it is in the way they all twist things. One has to be careful. That is why this discussion board is so good. Buying a compact is not an overnight thing and I really believe even if one has his mind set on a certain color he should be looking at the others also.

murph

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #3  
<font color="red"> Even better, would be to build a new specs department at the worlds leading tractor website. (that would be TBN!!) That is a HUGE task, but maybe it could be done. I suggest having a comitee set up, with a member responsible for each brand. I know that I haver benefitted greatly from input of folks like _RaT_ and Bob Skurka (just to name two...) who have been careful to find really accurate comparisons.
</font>

Mike I do a lot of work with charities, usually being on the fund raising committes. What I have found is that whenever I miss a meeting I get nominated to do a task. The task is typically either unpleasant or daunting in its scale.

So that leads me to ask the following question: WHEN WAS THE MEETING THAT I MISSED?

I agree with you that of all the websites, JD is the best by far. However, as good as it is, I have found that if you compare tractors that they often have the wrong data too. These things are VERY frustrating and VERY hard to come up with Apples-to-Apples comparisons for! And now that JD and Kubota are rolling out new product lines, all the comparisons I have made with those brands in the past few months are going to be void!

I would agree that it would be an amazing fete to develop a real comparison of brands, features, and specs. Just leave out pricing because of the regional variences.

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons
So - you accept!!! Whadda guy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #5  
<font color="red"> So - you accept!!! Whadda guy! </font>

HUH?!?

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #6  
I found the JD comparison stuff better than what's on Kubota site. Also, you can easily put the JD comparison chart on your PC for use in Excel.

Can't beat driving them though. To me, the ergonomics (e.g. pedal and other stuff placement) are the most important. JD 4010 won hands down over BX1830 and B7510 on this.

One thing they never showed on the comparisons was the height of the ROPS bar. The JD4010 spec sheet in the brochure had it for ag tires. I prefer not having to rely on my memory to remind me to lower the folding ROPS to go inside the garage. Got one that fit underneath the door (after adjusting it up a couple bolt holes).

Ralph

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #7  
What I think would be great would be to have some sort of independent form of testing. When I buy a new vehicle, I don't ever go to the manufacturer web-sites. I reach for an issue of Car and Driver and get a real comparison. Even a Consumer Report type format would be great. Everyone knows manufacturers (not just tractors) can't be relied upon to accurately report specs like the ones we always talk about. I'm talking about hydraulic lift capacity specs, horsepower specs, things like that. I chuckle to myself every time I see them quoted in a post, even though I realize they are all we have to go by. I also realize that there is some degree of manufacturing variance that would make even an independent test somewhat inaccurate, but it would be a heck of a lot better than what some like to quote as gospel now.

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What I think would be great would be to have some sort of independent form of testing. When I buy a new vehicle, I don't ever go to the manufacturer web-sites. I reach for an issue of Car and Driver and get a real comparison. Even a Consumer Report type format would be great. )</font>

I think half the fun of buying something this large is to go out and get the information yourself. I can't say much about Car and Driver because I have never really looked at the magazine. I will say as far as Consumer Reports I won't put much trust in them. I questioned them one time about an item that they highly rated. I was told that the only information they can go by is the brochures they have in hand and what is said about the product and warranties. A product that had so many problems the manufacture had to take it off the market after about 5 years of production but yet was rated as the best. Another example was two products, exactly the same, comes down the same assembly line, just different logos on the product and one was rated good and the other didn't even make the top ten. Brochures were pretty much the same also. So I don't put much trust in Consumer Reports. Brother in law just loves it.

murph

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #9  
Before I bought my CUT, I built an Excel spreadsheet to do the comparison. I started with the all of the leading manufacturer's models at the horsepower I thought I wanted. I then added four more models at increasing HP (no one ever needs less HP /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) from where I started. So I had 5 models from each mfg'r. I added columns for all of the key specs that I cared about (ie: wheelbase, track width, weight, loader & 3 pt. specs, etc) and included price, dealer name, and a column for all the misc. stuff that differentiates. Once I narrowed it down to the top couple of models, I went looking for real pricing, both local and online. All this help enormously in deciding exactly what model I wanted (Cub 3760SS).

Ultimately, I bought slightly used from a JD dealer a long way away, but it got me a lot more CUT for the money I had to spend.

/ Tractor Specs Comparisons #10  
I wasn't really talking anout Consumer Reports itself (I'm not a big fan either), I was just using that as an example of a format where independant research and verification of capacity could be researched and established. Any method that removes dependence on the manufacturer to provide specs from the mix would be a plus.