Keeping the Tractor battery fresh

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #1  

Jibber

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST 4WD, BX2350
We're getting into that time of year when the tractor may sit for weeks between starts. And, even when I do run it in the winter I may not run it long enough to top up the battery.

I've noticed some slower cranking so I think I may need to top up the charge on the battery. I'm also thinking of putting an automatic or "float" charger on it.

Any advice on brands or types. I see some that look like nothing more than an AC adapter and they're 40 bucks! Egad!

I have a very large cart type shop charger.. but what I am really looking for is something that I can leave on the tractor battery all the time it's garaged.

also.. can leaving a trickle of float charger on the battery damage the tractor electronics in any way? My L3130 has the "intellipanel" digital dash. I wouldn't want to mess with anything that would scramble it's digi-brain!!

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #2  
How does $7.49 at Harbor freight sound? Part number 42292-1VGA float charger.

This type of charger should cause your electrical system no harm if connected properly and will keep your battery topped off.

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh
Wow, that's a whole lot better price that's for sure. We don't have any harborfreight stores around this area, but I have a friend who lives in your neck of the woods (canfield) who has one near his house and he is visiting me next week. I'll have him pick one up. At that price I'll take my chances.

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #4  
I use my Boomer for regular winter duties here which keeps the battery charged during the winter months but I also own one of the float chargers, just in case it doesn't see snow duty (fat chance). I'm sure there are more expensive chargers around but this one seems to work well.

You can also order one on-line click here

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #5  
ON rare occasions there may be times that i don;t start the tractor for a few weeks(not many tho) and mine always fires right up. but just in case i have battery charger, have never need it for the tractor, but have used it on the cars(like when the bride forgets to turn off the interior light) a good battery, in good condition should be able to hold a strong charge for a few weeks or longer.

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh
Unfortunately.. or fortunately.. depending on how you look at it.. I have the tractor garaged.. and don't really want to mess with solar panels.. a trickle charger draws so little.. I'd just as soon plug in something.. and 10 bucks is cheap!

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #8  
Another hint, for a cold battery is to turn the lights on for a little before cranking. I know it sounds like the LAST thing you'd want to do.... But, it warms the battery to get it to peak performance.

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #9  
Another way to keep a battery fresher is to keep it clean. Never allow dirt to sit around on top of the battery. It'll draw moisture and can form a discharge path through the wet dirt to ground.

Even spraying your battery with water is fine, long as you get it clean in the process. Clean water won't conduct hardly any DC electricity and will dry up fairly quickly. Don't do this when it's freezing out though!

Ralph

/ Keeping the Tractor battery fresh #10  
I just purchased a 6/12 volt. battery tender at Sears for $28.Comes with a quick disconnect plug so you can leave the other end permanently atttached to the battery so you don't have to raise the hood every time.

Mike