Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV?

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #1  

keeney

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST
It occurs to me that a compact tractor can do a lot of the job a UTV (utility all-terrain vehical) does. Maybe not as comfortably, maybe not as fast, and only with one seat, but if the tractor makes a "good enough" UTV, maybe I can skip getting the UTV? Or to turn it around, is a UTV enough better at what it does to really need one if I already have a compact tractor?

How many CUT owners occasionally use their tractor like a UTV? Something to just transport themselves and maybe some tools and materials to a location?

How often? What kind of terrain? How far? What do you carry? How is it carried (FEL, carry-all, on lap?, etc). Is it to a worksite, or for recreation?

What features of a UTV would you want that the tractor is lacking? All-terrain capability? Comfort (suspension)? Speed? Cargo box?

What about the new combo units like the Bobcat Tool-cat?

- Rick

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #2  
Rick, you'd have to understand that where I lived on a county road, there might only be 2 or 3 vehicles a day, and sometimes none, besides the postman, pass by our house; i.e., very little traffic. Even when I drove on the county road and the farm-to-market roads 7.75 miles to my brother's place, I might see 2 to 6 other vehicles on the road. So, yes, I used my little tractor to run around, carry tools, etc. in my pasture, to the nearest neighbor to visit, and to my brother's place. I've also been known to use it with my fishing gear in the FEL bucket to go fishing;one place less than half a mile down the road, but another place that was a couple of miles back through the woods where a pickup couldn't go.

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #3  
Rick, I've owned several quads and often operate the Kawasaki Mule that my company owns and I'll answer your question -- no way would I substitute a huge, heavy, long, wide, tall, loud, awkward, high-centered, poor handling, unsuspended behemoth of a CUT for general off road transportation. The CUT and I are both too valuable to risk rolling over or getting stuck somewhere out in the woods. A proper utility quad (there are many excellent models out there) would be safer, quieter, more nimble, much more comfortable, less offensive, less destructive, more fun and cheaper to use for day to day off roading. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #4  
My little PT425 does great as a UTV. It doesn't tear up the ground, has full time 4WD and has roll over protection. If the trail is blocked, I open it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I was out blazing trails with it through our woods last weekend. It went places I couldn't walk through. I carry tools in the FEL bucket if needed. Sometimes I just drive it around the trails to inspect things. Lots of fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #5  
<font color="blue"> no way would I substitute a huge, heavy, long, wide, tall, loud, awkward, high-centered, poor handling, unsuspended behemoth of a CUT for general off road transportation. </font>

Me neither!

That's why I have a nice sized, not too heavy, not so long, not too wide, nimble, good ground clearance, who needs suspension anyway, beauty of a CUT! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #6  
That was what I used my Gravely for about 50% of the time. About 40% was bush hogging. The other 10% was garden plowing, shredding or plowing/blowing snow.

The Gravely would only haul enough mulch for 1 garden row down the hill in its cart. On the JD 4010, I hope to haul mulch in the bucket, on carryall and in Gravely cart hitched behind the carryall. Hoping maybe I can get enough for at least 2 rows, maybe 3. Haven't gotten the carryall yet. Still sorting out what quick hitch I want to get to make dropping the bush hog and picking up the carryall fairly easy.

Ralph

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #7  
Not Practical For me, I have both, I use both, but for totally different needs. Example - I use the atv to feed the horses(hook up to a four wheeled cart), twice daily, under 1 hr, if I used the tractor it would take 2+ hrs to go field to field. The tractor does my heavy work ( Manure, post holes, etc.) The atv does the
finese work. They each have different uses. Its possible to use one if the other has broken down but I would not do it out of choice
Ron

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV?
familyman,

in regards to "...cheaper to use..."

Thats the part I am most interested in. If a utility ATV costs $5000 to $10,000 and I can use the tractor I already own (and need for other things), it seems to me that using the tractor would be cheaper overall than buying and maintaining another piece of equipment up until the additional fuel efficiency caught up.

I totally agree that a tractor is certainly not going to be competitive on comfort or nimbleness - I'm just wondering if its even usable at all for some of what a UTV gets used for.

As another poster has pointed out, not all compact tractors are huge, heavy, wide, or long. A small CUT like my JD 4100 weighs about the same as a Kawasaki Mule and I think it has a shorter and narrower wheelbase.

- Rick

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #9  
I used to walk all over my 5 acres when I wanted to check something or think about what I was going to do next or just to enjoy it, but then I got knocked hard with a heart thingie. So, now I ride. I don't have an ATV or UTV or such, not even a golf cart with knobby tires, yet. So, it's either my pickup or the tractor. The tractor works just fine. It's a little slow, and I wouldn't want it to go any faster because there is no suspension, but it's not as slow as walking.

Now, I hesitate to say this out loud with the safety nazis lurking, but when my son-in-law wants to go with me, he hops up on whatever implement is hooked up to the 3 point hitch, grabs on to the ROPS, and rides along.

Let me add that our land is flat, relatively open (about like a park) and that I wouldn't consider spending much on utulity transportation, anyway. I figure I will get a golf cart one of these days and dress it up with a lift kit and knobby tires, but I sure won't spend more than $1,000. The other thing I've considered is an old Suzuki Samurai or similar with the top and doors left off, if I could find one cheap enough.

/ Using Compact Tractor as UTV / RTV? #10  
Rick,

I am fortunate enough to have all 3 (CUT, UTV and ATV's).

I got the CUT first and if you only can only have one machine, it's probably the way to go. It can do most of what a UTV or ATV can do but much more with FEL and 3PH accessories. It is significantly slower than either of the other machines but can carry about as much using the FEL and a carry-all off the 3PH. Speed and efficiency were some of my primary reasons for the other machines. Other reasons related to recreation and the limited use of the tractor in the lawn (I'm running R1 tires).

I purchased a UTV (the Kubota RTV) earlier this year. Since doing so, my ATV's are barely used. I use the RTV for almost all my firewood processing since it is a lot faster than a tractor and much safer than an ATV. (I have very hilly terrain). The RTV is also much better than an ATV when taking the kids out for a ride.

The ATV's are still used for recreational and some lawn chores. I use these for recreational riding, pulling sleds in the winter...
Pull behind lawn items (bagger, aerator...) are better suited for an ATV. I also use for hauling trailers around to pick up leaves, branches (although I could also use the RTV).

I believe the Toolcat Bobcat is most likely a great all-around machine (although possibly too heavy for yard work). Personally, if I had no equipment but did have the $45K cash to buy whatever, I think I would probably get a CUT, UTV and ATV instead. For my needs/uses I think having the options based on the project at hand is better suited.

Brian