Levelling the land...

/ Levelling the land... #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
I recently had about 3 acres of land cleared of cedars. While a contractor was building my pond, I asked him if he could do it and he said "one more day of labor" /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I now have 3 huge piles of cedar that I can't wait to burn (but the weather has to be just right so wait I will) and an otherwise clear meadow. Except...

The dozers they used to topple these trees are big an unweildy. So, my once pretty-level meadow is marked with ruts, ridges and the occassional hole where a tree stump used to be.

Now, I'm a tractor neophyte, at first I thought I could use my DK35's bucket to solve this problem. It only took a few minutes to see that wasn't going to work at all.

So now I'm wondering how experienced folks would deal with this. The only thing I can think of would be to drag a clean log or long wooden beam around with a chain on each end, just kind of pull the high spots down into the low spots.

Any advice, better ways ???

/ Levelling the land... #2  
Are you planning to reseed the meadow or just let it grow back in naturally?

If I were doing it, I'd try to rent a disc to cut the tops off. I'd run parrallel to the ruts the first few passes, and then cross cut with it to even it out......

My 2 cents.
Ron

/ Levelling the land... #3  
I think your best tool for moving lots of dirt and leveling the playing field is a good old fashioned box-blade. First use your FEL for filling any stump holes and then hit it with the box-blade for grading. You'll be surprised at what you can accomplish.

/ Levelling the land... #4  
You could use a straight blade or box blade if you need to grade it quite a bit, but......

Chain link fence. It comes in 4' and 6' widths and a piece about 8' long should be enough. You can get one of the bars that is used at the end of a run of fence and tie your rope or chains to it to keep the fencing straight. If necessary you could put a 4X4 or 6X6 on top for extra weight.

I saw someone who was using a set of the old fashioned bed springs and they seemed to work pretty well.

I have used a 4X4 also but I like the chain link fence better.

Bill Tolle

/ Levelling the land... #5  
Billy, for 3 acres I'd probably just use the box blade. Your idea of dragging a clean log or wooden beam would probably work pretty well, if you get one that's big and heavy enough. Otherwise, it probably would not work very well.

/ Levelling the land...
Thanks Bird....

I own a bush hog and a disc, but no box blade. I'm going to try to do this without buying any more implements right now.

I'm a sucker for a novel approach so I'm seriously thinking about getting a chunk of chain link /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif If that doesn't work well enough, I definitely have all the heavy logs a person could possibly want, I won't even have to cut a live tree ! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Levelling the land... #7  
Most in my area that have new cleared land like yours, will disc and use a log for a field of any size. You all ready have both, try it.

/ Levelling the land... #8  
I tried using a box blade to level 4 acres, and without some sort of draft control it was difficult. Little pieces of debris and little bumps kept me busy. By the end of the day, my neck hurt from constantly looking back...

If you maintain pastures, then I suggest you just buy a chain harrow. I love that thing! It's heavier than chain link fence and one side has tines to create small furrows for seeding. Then I would flip the chain over and smooth out where I had seeded. I also use the chain to break up manure piles.

For smoothing new pastures disc and chain! I run the disc one way then run the disc again perpendicular to my last run. On the final pass, I run the disc and attach the chain harrow to the disc so I can cut and smooth in one pass.

/ Levelling the land... #9  
I have used several things as drags, but I like this best. You do not need to have this elaborate of a hookup, if you can drive forward all time. It would work real well behind a disk.

16" I beam, 15' long. The weight & length really help to level things out.

Attachments

• 537439-P9190029.JPG
    537439-P9190029.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 520