Generic question about 4wd tractors...

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
This question is going to sound a but dumb but what the heck, it won't be the first or last time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a Kioti DK35. I've had it a year and a half, but since I'm only a weekend (and not every weekend at that) country boy I've only put about 40 hours on it so far.

I realized the other day that I'm not quite sure when I should be in 4wd and when not. Now, obviously, if I'm dealing with mud or using the FEL, I know I should be in 4wd. But one of the few flaws with the Kioti is that it is not easy to change between 2wd and 4wd. So sometimes, I find myself driving around in 4wd when I probably don't need it.

Am I wearing out my tractor by doing that? General guidelines?

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But one of the few flaws with the Kioti is that it is not easy to change between 2wd and 4wd. So sometimes, I find myself driving around in 4wd when I probably don't need it.

)</font> am not familar with how u go from 4wd to 2wd with kioti, why is is difficult? on my kuota, just hit the clutch and put lever in 4wd or 2wd. and no it should not do any damage as long as u are not running in 4wd on hard pavement. but i personally only like to use 4wd only when necessary.

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #3  
When I first bought my old 670, I ran it 4WD almost exclusively. Now, those Deeres are pretty easy to switch between 2WD and 4WD (what is the process with the kioti?). I rarely use 4WD now, though.

As long as you're not on dry, hard pavement, you shouldn't have too much to be worried about. Turning on grass may result in some scuffing, though.

As, I'd asked, why is to so tough to shift between 2WD and 4WD? Is that the nature of the beasts?

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #4  
In any difficult situation like, as you mention, loading, or mud or any other time the tractor seems to have a hard time, 4WD is appropriate. You're not doing any damage per se, but it's not necessary to remain in 4WD unless needed. I believe you get just a bit better fuel consumption in 2WD, and less wear on the front-end gears.
As to the difficulty of switching, if you'll follow the linkage of the lever down under the tractor and spray with WD40 or PB Blaster, you should find it easier to use. I do it with every 50 hour greasing and as needed. Also, if it won't engage/disengage easily, move forward/revers just a bit and try again. Other's state they lift the front end a bit with the loader and then do it with ease. Hope this helps. John

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But one of the few flaws with the Kioti is that it is not easy to change between 2wd and 4wd. )</font>

I have the same tractor ( DK 35) and have no problem at all switching from 2 wd and 4 wd.
Always goes into 4 wd very easily, I usually take it out of 4 wd on the go (but not under and any load), every now and then it will get some driveline windup and not want to come out of 4 wd, just stop and lift the front wheels off the ground with the loader and it will come right out.

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #6  
Billy, I've mentioned before that when I was shopping for a tractor in '95, I looked at a rental unit a dealer had and noticed it was in 4WD. He said on their rental units, they put them in 4WD and leave them there. Personally, I only shifted to 4WD when I thought I needed it; pulling a box blade or plow, using the FEL, etc. However, as has been said by the others, you're not likely to cause any damage to the machine as long as you are on dirt, gravel, grass, etc. where there can be a little wheel slippage, although it is possible to damage it driving longer distances on hard dry pavement.

And is yours hard to shift into or out of 4WD, or both? If it's hard to shift out of 4WD, the easiest way I know is to use the FEL to lift the front wheels. Sometimes just backing up a little and/or turning the steering wheel will let it slip out if you don't have the FEL on or don't want to use it to lift the front wheels. That relieves any pressure from wind up and it should slip out easily. If it's hard to shift into 4WD, try moving forward or backwards just a tiny bit and very slowly and it should slip in easily.

Now that is, of course, if the problem is engaging or disengaging the gears themselves. If the problem is a stiff linkage due to friction, then lubrication, as has already been mentioned, is the likely cure.

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors...
Well, it isn't *that* hard, but sometimes it is a real pain, especially if you are in a hurry. The "use the loader to lift the front end" trick does help, but the mechanism is very very "tight" and it just takes a lot of oomph to pull the floor lever up or push it down. I know my wife would never be able to switch it.

I may try the wd40 trick, haven't done that yet.

As for leaving it in 4wd, well maybe that would work too. I never use the tractor on pavement, at all.

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the mechanism is very very "tight" and it just takes a lot of oomph to pull the floor lever up or push it down. )</font>

Sounds like it just needs used to loosen up and a good shot of penetrating oil on the linkage.

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #9  
My Dk45 was the same way when I got it . I sprayed it as some have mention here and it is easy to switch now .Before I was afraid I would pull the handle off from trying to pull it up , now it is smooth and easy . The first time I used it after spraying with WD40 I almost flipped myself over the seat ,it worked so well ! I could not believe what a difference it made .
The lesson I learned "BIG TIME" on using my 4wd was ripping some potholes on my gravel drive . I was in 5th gear(it has a 12 speed) and hooked a big rock ! That tractor never even slowed down ,it just ripped the ripper right out of the box . In 2wd I would have not had so much traction and believe it would not have broke . The replacable ripper tooth even hit the ROP's before just brushing my jaw . Very Lucky !!!! I found the tooth 40 feet in front of the tractor . Now I use 2wd and go to 4wd only when I need more traction .
Big Al

/ Generic question about 4wd tractors... #10  
Put yourself inside your tractor for a moment...

When you are in four wheel drive the front driveshaft is turning the same speed as the rear. Heading straight, no problem. When you turn though, the front and rear wheels follow different paths that cause them to turn at different speeds. If the tires can slip some (softer surfaces), you're fine but if not (hard surface), you'll have some serious windup in the driveline that will eventually unwind when something lets loose. Hopefully, and usually it is a tire slipping and that's the jerky feeling you get in 4X4 on hard surfaces. But over time, as things wear, you could twist off a spline on the drive shaft. I did that on an old 4X4 truck I had years ago (big tires and such didn't help the driveline at all).

Of course, that's the extreme but from the tractors perspective, the tires do need to slip some when you are in 4X4. The harder it is for them to slip, the harder it is on the machinery /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif