How did Kubota get such a large market share ?

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #51  
The real trick for this industry is figuring out what the market will want when the baby boomers are gone. there is a huge population of americans settling on semi-rural plots- people that grew up with gardens, animals, relatives in farming; these people want a touch of that, and the compact tractor lets them be an estate owner etc. but what is next? will the kids that grew up in the MTV 1980s yearn for 10 acres and a tractor? we may see a glut of 200 hr kubotas in 10 years as estate auctions run rampant....the CUT parade is at it's peak, and many have missed the profitable portion of the show. That is how business is....I will be interested to see who wins the next round.....

I am a kid of the 70s/80's, born in 1974 and we just bought 10 acres where we are building a house that will probably be our "forever home". I have made the decision to not purchase new, so I am keeping an eye on Craigslist. The two I am really interested in right now are...

2007 Kubota L4330 HST

2007 MAHINDRA 4X4 TRACTOR LOADER 4110

I grew up around a MF 135 on my grandfathers place and its still being used by my dad now. Really, that is what I would be most interested in, but my research has shown a loader on a MF 135 is not the best course of action. Personally I have no need for turn signals and alot of the other bells and whistles tractors seem to come with now, but it seems that is just the way things have gone. I have even entertained a scenario where I pick up a 135 for a few thousand bucks and use it the majority of the time and pick up a skid steer for any loader work I may run into.

So, just an idea where one of us Gen X駻s is coming from.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #52  
I am a kid of the 70s/80's, born in 1974 and we just bought 10 acres where we are building a house that will probably be our "forever home". I have made the decision to not purchase new, so I am keeping an eye on Craigslist. The two I am really interested in right now are...

2007 Kubota L4330 HST

2007 MAHINDRA 4X4 TRACTOR LOADER 4110

I grew up around a MF 135 on my grandfathers place and its still being used by my dad now. Really, that is what I would be most interested in, but my research has shown a loader on a MF 135 is not the best course of action. Personally I have no need for turn signals and alot of the other bells and whistles tractors seem to come with now, but it seems that is just the way things have gone. I have even entertained a scenario where I pick up a 135 for a few thousand bucks and use it the majority of the time and pick up a skid steer for any loader work I may run into.

So, just an idea where one of us Gen X駻s is coming from.
Just moved into my new home last of July this year. My new B3200 with FEL was invaluable. Would not think of building another without a tractor with FEL. I'm sure the 135 is a great old farm tractor - wanted my dad to buy one back in the 60's. The tractors you are looking at hold their value very well - the owners probably want almost as much as they gave for them. I chose to go new on both occasions of tractor buying. I did not buy someone's troubles and I have warranty. My first new tractor was a gear shift. My 2nd new one is an HST. Definitely the better choice for front end loader work and many other things I do with the tractor. In this economy I would hold onto all the cash I have. You can find new tractors for $0 down, 0% interest and 60 month payouts. I was looking at used tractors but soon realized a loan would cost me 16% which put the overall cost of a used tractor more than a new one. Just saying, you might take a second look.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #53  
I was at the Ag show in Moultrie a few years ago. That is about 4 hour drive from my house. A guy calls out my name and refreshes my memory where I know him from. He was from the Kuboto dealer 10 miles from my house. It is a small dealership with Kuboto and Case tractors. Stuff sitting in the weeds has has been sitting their 20-30 years. Dark old office that is probably 50 years old. I have bought a chain link drag, a rusty used Befco finish mower and parts to fix it, and an old rusty Bushog scrape blade (that his now deceased father in law would not sell me as he was storing it for someone the past 10 years). So I have not spent over a $1,000 there over 15 years but it is nice that someone knows me. I have looked at equipment after hours at the JD store where I got my 870 15 years ago. I have no idea if my salesman is there. That dealership is now part of a 5 store chain. By the way the more convenient new JD store has friendly people at the parts counter. Since I live on the cusp of residential/agricultural, those dealerships have to talk to us people buying weed wackers, zero turns, $20K tractors as well as the guys buying $100K equipment. No $100K equipment sitting in the lots at any of the local dealers like there is down in Moultrie.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #54  
I curse metric stuff too. But what I REALLY curse is when there are english fasteners and metric on the same vehicle. Some "world" cars have english body fasteners and metric engine (or the other way around). It really P's me O! :laughing:

I dont curse just at metric stuff. I figured its a way of life and just have both sets. But what I really curse about is getting BOTH metric and standard sockets and wrenches for a simple, SINGLE part swap out in a vehicle or tractor. :confused3: I just count my blessings if the bolts/buts is in half inch or 13mm as it can go either way. less junk to carry.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #55  
I know this is an old thread but it's a continuing sage of human and corporate survival. No maker lost business to Kubota, they gave it away with poor products, service and marketing ideas. Even as IH was flirting with bankruptcy back in the early 1980's, the lazy az$ salesman wouldn't get up to give me a price. Ha, ha.

Fords were good for a while until corporate seemed to abandon the unit and maybe used cost cutting to improve the bottom line. OH, well.

Deere was only interested in selling what they wanted, if I ordered it sight unseen and paid retail plus freight for the privilege. The sales guy said Kubota was "junk" without any knowledge or experience and told me not to bother because they won't be around in a few years. Sure.

And here we are , except now Kubota is the elephant in the room is starting to build 150 HP tractors to go after the mid size market that is the other tractor maker's bread and butter. Hmmm, no guarantees but I wonder how this will turn out.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #56  
I know this is an old thread but it's a continuing sage of human and corporate survival. No maker lost business to Kubota, they gave it away with poor products, service and marketing ideas. Even as IH was flirting with bankruptcy back in the early 1980's, the lazy az$ salesman wouldn't get up to give me a price. Ha, ha.

Fords were good for a while until corporate seemed to abandon the unit and maybe used cost cutting to improve the bottom line. OH, well.

Deere was only interested in selling what they wanted, if I ordered it sight unseen and paid retail plus freight for the privilege. The sales guy said Kubota was "junk" without any knowledge or experience and told me not to bother because they won't be around in a few years. Sure.

And here we are , except now Kubota is the elephant in the room is starting to build 150 HP tractors to go after the mid size market that is the other tractor maker's bread and butter. Hmmm, no guarantees but I wonder how this will turn out.

Last edited:
   / How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #57  
I didn't read all the previous pages, but here's my take:

4WD
Decent Price
Durability
Diesel (when many smaller tractors were gas)

Three guys at work bought them back in the 70's when small 4WD tractors with loader weren't very common around here. Many were sold because of their experiences - word of mouth.

Honda, Kia and others have been gaining market share in the auto sector. Most of the "new kids" introduced laughable first entries and then went on to improve and enjoy strong sales.

I seriously considered Kubota the first time when we were talking tractors at work. One guy said to look around at what the landscape businesses were using because they needed to go for value/reliability.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #58  

I'm curious to see the outcome of this as well. For the local cattle ranchers around here the large Kubota line is being received very well. My Kubota dealer is well stocked with large Utility and medium size AG tractors. Better stocked than he is on the CUTs and down.

When I bought my M9540 four years ago I shopped hard for a JD 5xxxM tractor. For $6000 more money and less features I could get a Deere. I just couldn't do it.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #59  
Kubota has done a good job building a quality product for years now. Good product, good service and fair price leads to a lot of sales. Kubota filled a gap in the small tractor market very successfully and grew their business. Good for them.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #60  
Kubota has over 100 years in small tractor experience. They have been building quality for all that time. They build what the customer wants. The dealers have always been first rate in my area. The price for the value is unmatched.

After 13 years my BX has never seen the shop. A few seals and hoses and that is it.

No surprise Kubota continues to build a customer base.