How did Kubota get such a large market share ?

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #61  
When I was in high school (graduated in '80 - so I'm old), I worked for a power equipment business as a small engine mechanic. When I started there, we were selling Yanmars. They were a reliable, basic small tractor but we didn't sell many of them. After I'd been there a few months, we picked up Kubota and sold a ton of them. Again, basic and reliable. They had 2WD and 4WD ranging from about a 12hp, 2 cylinder to a 4WD 75hp 4 cylinder diesel. If I remember correctly, they had one hydrostatic model on a small tractor.

People would come in to look at them and ask about those "Kubuki" tractors. :laughing: I still have one of my (now) vintage Kubota hats and also the ignition keys.

But, to answer the original question of the thread - they sold a reliable piece of equipment for a fair price.

And now I own a Deere! :laughing: (But, when I started looking for a tractor, I started first looking at Kubotas, but found a good deal on my JD).

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #62  
I'm interested to hear what your experiences are Mr. Messick. My dealer is a John Deere/Kubota dealer. He has told me that Kubota is far better for getting warranty, and when there is a problem, he said they are genuinely interested in making sure it doesn't happen again. He said someone from Kubota will follow up with phone calls, etc. asking why they thought something failed and what can be changed in production to make sure it doesn't fail again. He told me they truly do look into their problems and want to correct them.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #63  
When I bought my M9540 four years ago I shopped hard for a JD 5xxxM tractor. For $6000 more money and less features I could get a Deere. I just couldn't do it.

Same here Richard, when our Case CX80 went toes up AGAIN :banghead:, we shopped around and really liked the John Deere M, but not for the extra cost, five years later, we're happy with our decision.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #64  
Same here Richard, when our Case CX80 went toes up AGAIN :banghead:, we shopped around and really liked the John Deere M, but not for the extra cost, five years later, we're happy with our decision.

Me too. I don't think I'll ever sell the Kubota. I certainly don't think I'll ever wear it out. So the boys will inherit it.

Probably would have been the same end result with the Deere. Just didn't work out that way. :)

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #65  
Going to be interesting to see it they get any traction in europe with the larger tractors.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #66  
Going to be interesting to see it they get any traction in Europe with the larger tractors.

I'll bet they will, more so than even this country. I live on the black dirt, flat ground of the Midwest where Deere, and to a lesser degree Case have owned things forever. Maybe a Ford/New Holland but that's about it.

What shocks me is the number of 125-135 HP Kubotas that have shown up around here and used as large utility tractors. Not for tillage and things but for hauling carts and misc things. They are showing up everywhere and alongside $300,000 Deeres. In other words, they are being accepted into the flock with the most stubborn of farmers.

When those Kubota 170, 200 or whatever HP those bigger ones are get here, the door has already been opened and I think it won't be that much of a stretch for Kubota to make further inroads into the ag market. But that's just my opinion.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #67  
Don't know how much Kubota there is in those larger tractors, seen info that Kubota makes engine and cab and the rest is std european drivetrain and hydraulics but i have not had a look on them.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #68  
Don't know how much Kubota there is in those larger tractors, seen info that Kubota makes engine and cab and the rest is std european drivetrain and hydraulics but i have not had a look on them.

Hmmmmm.... Hadn't heard that. Next time I'm at the Kubota dealer I'll check one out and report my findings. If the powertrain is built by another company it'll be stamped into the casting somewhere.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #69  
Having bought my first Kubota back in 1985, I can tell you they have earned my business. I wouldn't buy another brand. Period. There is something, for me, comfortable and satisfying about owning a Kubota. My son licks his lips when he comes over to the shop, eye balling those toys he's gonna get. But, he's earned them, too.