How did Kubota get such a large market share ?

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #1  

eee

Gold Member
John Deere sells a lot of tractors etc,but how did Kubota get such a large market share on the compact tractor market ?
Was it because of quality/durability ?
Was it because of value for the dollar ?
Was John Deere late in getting in the compact tractor market as compared to Kubota ?

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #3  
Just a personal idea with no real data to back it up but I think Kubota was looked at when they entered the market as little threat to the established big names. They had good tractors at good prices and just had to build the name and quality recgonition.

They moved up the foodchain and their prices went up with that. I think they are in the same position now as the guys that overlooked them in the beginning were and that is that they are a bit big for their britches.

Companies like LG, Mahindra & Kioti are taking market share now as they are producing great machines with great features, financing and reliability.

I see the landscape changing for the big 3 in the future with increased very high quality competition aggressively marketing their products.

Maka

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #4  
When I first started using Kubota's back in the early 70's , they were small ,tinny and broke often, but they had 4WD !!! I think I spent more time hauling them back to the rental yard broken ,then actually using them on the job site .Even with the problems, Kubota's had four wheel drive and would go where no other wheel tractor could even imagine going . As time pasted , Kubota learned from their mistakes and kept building a better and better machine . They are a great tractor and earned the respect they have today by never quitting on making a better machine . There are many great compact tractors out on the market now , but in my opinion ,Kubota was the first .
Big Al

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( started using Kubota's back in the early 70's , they were small ,tinny and broke often )</font>

First time I've heard that. A friend bought a used L245DT with a FEL in the '70s, worked it hard for several years, even dug his own pond with it, and while he doesn't use it much anymore, he still has it and it's still in good condition.

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #6  
Hi Bird ,
Well ,they were rental tractors and I think we can all agree that a rental tractor can see much more abuse then a privately owned one . Maybe they made bigger ones back then , but I never saw one . Still ,I tip my hat to them .
Big Al

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #7  
probably a little of them all. many years ago i remember seeing ad's for KUBOTA and wondered what the heck is a Kubota. actually went to look at then with my uncle, at that time we thought they were overpriced for a funny looking, strange color, machine that no one had ever heard of. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #8  
kubota started manufacturing in the 1890's. built tractors for the mostly small rice farms in japan. became the tractor of choice in japan decided to import them to the U.S in the late 60's. the new holland JD Masey and the like didn't think there was a market in the U.S, so they let them go. they were making big money on combines and the like well there was a market, and the rest is history. the U.S still doesn't make one i believe as for the early reliability I know a few people who have early models to the states that have had very few problems. left out side all these years that's the story as it was told to me

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #9  
I remember comments from the '70s like:
You're going to buy a WHAT? and
People who eat with sticks shouldn't build tractors.
How things change. John

/ How did Kubota get such a large market share ? #10  
Here's my take, they learned from trial (us tractor abusers) and error (their mistakes, under designed for us abusers). Maybe or maybe not, when I bought my first Kubota (used) in 1980 they where not that popular around here but I gave them a chance and have not regretted it one bit. They were fairly new to my area. This time I bought a Kioti and so far it has been great. I'm willing to give a company a chance to redeem themselves if they have problems with their product. Just remember that these engineers, designers and whoever else it takes to produce and market something are no different than you and I, god help us were not perfect and cannot think of every way that we can come up with to abuse or break something knowingly or unknowingly. The strong will survive and weaklings will fade away. But in the end the consumer will dictate who survives and who doesn't. Most times it all starts at the top, if they want it to work, it will usually work, it may just take some time and patience.

As Elvis would say "thank you, thank you, thank you very much"

Can you tell i'm in the typing mood this morning.

Steve